Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Statistics?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Statistics?
Hello

I'm having trouble opening your csv document databases. Any suggestions? I can open them, but they're not organized correctly on Excel and don't fit right on word, etc. This is probably a dumb question.

if not, are there any online databases, like baseball-reference.com?

Thanks

Martin
Comments
Re: Statistics?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:17 AM | YBS Fan ]

First of all, I'd strongly suggest downloading OpenOffice for use instead of Excel. For dealing with multiple languages (which I do a lot of), Open Source tools tend to work much better than the proprietary junk offered by Microsoft. And OpenOffice is legally free.

Secondly, drag and drop the downloaded .csv file to the OpenOffice shortcut on your desktop or launch bar. This will open up a dialog for importing text files. The first thing you'll notice is that there are a bunch of arrows between fields. That's because it's really a TAB separated document, not commas. So click the check box that says that fields are separated by tabs, and uncheck the one for commas. If you haven't set it by default, please change the character encoding to UTF-8. (I use UTF-8 so that I can combine Japanese, Korean, and Chinese all in single spreadsheets - something that Excel can't do very well.)

Third, click the "OK" button and the spreadsheet should load without a hitch.

Please be warned, though, that I don't have this year's data in. And I don't think that I completed last year's. Yes, I've fallen way behind in maintaining this site, I'm sorry to say.
Re: Statistics?
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: Oct 6, 2010 9:58 AM | LOT Fan ]

Martin,

There are some other online databases but they are only in Japanese. If you do not read Japanese and you use Firefox you can add the Rikaichan plugin to do some on-the-fly translation of the categories.

I tend to look at Pro Yakyuu Data Freak for more advanced stats and the Sports@nifty stats pages for easy to sort stats.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.