Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2010 Golden Gloves?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
2010 Golden Gloves?
Can anyone explain why there's no winner of the Golden Glove for first base in the Central League this year? Is there some threshold of votes that a player needs to receive?

Along the same lines, I noticed that from time to time, there's no winner of the Rookie of the Year award (most recently in 2000 in the Pacific League). How does that happen? I know that there's some statistical criteria for the Sawamura award which explains why sometimes it doesn't get awarded, but why would there be no Rookie of the Year?
Comments
Re: 2010 Golden Gloves?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 17, 2010 9:49 AM ]

- Can anyone explain why there's no winner of the Golden Glove for first base in the Central League this year?

In 2004, Hiroyuki Watanabe won a first base GG with 42 ballots. There were 50 no qualifier ballots. In 2008, Alex Cabrara won it with 40 ballots. There were 53 no qualifier ballots. I think they said, "enough's enough," for the first time this year.

- Why would there be no Rookie of the Year?

For me, this one is easier to stomach because good rookies simply don't grow on trees every year. In the Pacific League, no fielder has won it since 1998.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 17, 2010 10:31 AM | YBS Fan ]

There were only two first basemen in the Central League who played 2/3rds of the total teams' games at first base: Brazell (HAN - .993 fielding percentage) and Blanco (CHU - .988). I'm not sure why Brazell didn't get it. Maybe a majority of the voters all thought that someone who didn't qualify looked better with the glove? This will require a little more research.

Regarding the Rookie of the Year Award, and the Sawamura Award as well, there have just been years when the powers-that-be didn't feel that anyone qualifying really stood out. The statistical criteria for the Sawamura Award is a kind of guideline, but not strictly followed. Either someone was dominating or they weren't. They can come up a little shy of 200 innings or 200 strike outs. Didn't Matsuzaka win it with 15 losses one year? If no rookie really came out and dominated in 2000, then the NPB doesn't feel the need to tarnish the award by presenting it to someone less than stellar. It's that simple.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Nov 19, 2010 11:02 PM | CHU Fan ]

Thanks for the replies. I guess the key thing is the ballots in Japan include a "none of the above" option while I don't think they do in the US.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.