Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Delay to the Start of the Baseball Season?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Delay to the Start of the Baseball Season?
Hi guys, in the wake of the tragic earthquake I was wondering if this would effect the start of the season. I have a limited Japanese ability, and although I garnered that Rakuten and Lotte will have trouble getting their stadiums ready in time. Is there talk of delaying the season, as I notice that open-sen games were canceled over the weekend?

Although baseball comes a distant second to the tragedy unfolding, I was just curious what was happening to baseball. Thanks for any repsonses.
Comments
Re: Delay to the Start of the Baseball Season?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 13, 2011 11:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

These are issues that will be discussed in the coming days. Initially, only this weekend's games were canceled, but Lotte has extended their stadium shutdown to the games on the 15th and 16th as well while they do a more detailed check of the stadium. Reports from Sendai about K-Stadium have been vague at best. (Note, this is based on this morning's paper - Gen at Yakyu Baka tends to keep more up-to-date translations of the news going.) Both Ochiai-kantoku and Oh-GM have expressed their concerns about starting the season on schedule.

The committee in charge of the Spring Invitational Koshien Tournament has announced that team placement drawings will still be held on schedule on March 15. Teams unable to make it to the drawing will be provided with a representative. The tournament itself is still on schedule, but a new working committee forming today will discuss the issue going forward.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 15, 2011 12:01 AM ]

Good post.
[ Author: Guest: Slammin' Sam | Posted: Mar 16, 2011 9:21 AM ]

From what I can understand, an extraordinary meeting held yesterday/last night decided that the Pacific League will delay the start of their season and the Central League will go ahead as per the original schedule. My Japanese isn't the best so maybe someone else can confirm that, but that's how I read it.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 16, 2011 12:21 PM | YBS Fan ]

That was the preliminary decision, to have the Pacific League delay the start and the Central League to start on time. But they did say that there would still be further meetings and the decision may change.

After the M6 earthquake near Mt. Fuji yesterday evening, I'm wondering if the gods that created the archipelago have been upset by Chunichi's "heartless" decision to go on. Mother Earth will hunt you down, Morino.

[For the sarcasm impaired, that last paragraph was meant as a humorous jest. Personally, I'd like to see things start getting back to normal sooner rather than later, and can understand the Central League's desire for the same. At the same time, I understand that things are not back to normal and many people are worried out of their minds for their own and loved ones' safety. I'm sure my hair is whiter after this week.]

The biggest problem that the Pacific League faces is where will Rakuten play home games? The Tigers have already extended an invitation to call Koshien their temporary home. I personally like the idea of the Eagles taking Hard Off Stadium, who was trying to lure the BayStars to set up permanently there, as a secondary home for this year and perhaps into the future. It would be a very good test to see if they can sustain a franchise.

Nonetheless, I don't think that this decision is necessarily a final one. But this is the current direction that things are headed.
[ Author: Guest: Patrick Gordon | Posted: Mar 19, 2011 1:56 AM ]

The Pacific League confirmed Friday that it would delay the start of the schedile until April 12.
[ Author: Guest: Sammy | Posted: Mar 19, 2011 10:55 AM ]

Since the Central League met to say they'd be sticking to the schedule some of the players and the players union have been up in arms. The fact they're holding yet another extraordinary meeting today suggests that they might now be listening to the players and my gut feeling is a postponement now seems highly likely.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 23, 2011 10:37 PM ]

Is it true that the Central League's season that they rescheduled just last weekend is probably going to be rescheduled yet again with more meetings scheduled for Thursday and Saturday this week?

First they were sticking with the 25th, then pushed it back to the 29th and now they're going to change it again? How about getting it right first before making an announcement? They're messing around ticket holders.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Mar 24, 2011 9:07 AM ]

Yes, there are more meetings today and Saturday. They agreed to play only day games in the Kanto area for a while, but the players' union is adamant to start the CL season on the same day as the PL season. That's a bit odd, considering all the years that the two leagues started playing on different days anyway.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 24, 2011 10:52 PM ]

Exactly, hypocritical attitude. The Pa league always used to start before the Ce League until recently. Anyway, the govt/players union got their way. The rest of us have gone back to work and got on with things. What's the players' excuse? They blew the opportunity to entertain and cheer up the suffering.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.