Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hoshino and Arai?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Hoshino and Arai?
I was curious about some comments made by Hoshino about Arai after the CL season was postponed to April 12. He said:

''I think the players' union is the most relieved about all this. Arai will be able to hit easier now.''

This is just the translation I read, but it comes across as very sarcastic. I know Hoshino can have a very abrasive way of speaking, so just wasn't sure if he was criticizing Arai about something or if it was just out of context.

Any clarification?
Comments
Re: Hoshino and Arai?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 25, 2011 4:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

I interpret that as meaning that Arai will now be able to better concentrate on his game. He's spent the last week trying to coordinate a response to the crisis that represents the players, where players from east and west were somewhat divided on how to proceed. The press commented on how bloodshot his eyes were during the last meeting with government officials.

Hoshino-kantoku does, as you say, have a sarcastic streak about him. I wouldn't be surprised if there were another hidden meaning in it. But it appeared to me that the Players' Association took the same position that Hoshino-kantoku was recommending, so I doubt if it was criticizing Arai in any way.
Re: Hoshino and Arai?
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 25, 2011 4:55 PM ]

Thanks for the quick clarification. Considering that Hoshino was definitely in favor of putting the season off, I figured he was supporting Arai. Just was curious if there was more to it the way it came across.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.