Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tarps in Japan?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Tarps in Japan?
I've recently started attending Japanese baseball games and there has been some inclement weather. It seems that Japanese stadiums don't have tarps to use during rain delays. Is that so? Do they use some other device for keeping the field dry?
Comments
Re: Tarps in Japan?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 10, 2011 12:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's a very odd thing to say. All of the major outdoor stadiums have tarps to the best of my knowledge. Were you at one of the rural stadiums? Or have some fields gone to smaller tarps that only cover the small areas of dirt on the mound and around the bases, as the the newer artificial surfaces don't hold as much water as they did in the past?

[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: May 10, 2011 2:11 PM ]

I went to Koshien and it had been raining all day, but there was no tarp on the field and I didn't notice any tarp along the baselines where they might be stored. Maybe I just got to the stadium too late, but I asked some other fans and they didn't seem to think Koshien uses a full tarp.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 10, 2011 3:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

Interesting. I distinctly remember seeing tarps used during many high school tournaments there. It seems to me that they have more than one so that they can cover that huge dirt infield.

Let me see.

. . .

Ah. Here is a picture of the tarps setting outside the stadium on a clear day. (Second photo from the bottom.) There's not much room to store things at the ancient stadium, so things like tarps get moved out of the way when not needed.

I'm not sure why they weren't used on the day you went. But tarps are often used at the various ball parks; Koshien included.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 10, 2011 4:16 PM ]

I've been at Koshien for a couple rain delays and I can't remember them ever rolling a full carp onto the field. Instead, they just brought out some weird things that looked like nothing more than giant towels or sponges. I guess with the time restrictions for public transportation they don't have several hour long rain delays like sometimes happens in MLB. The other day when Matsuzaka pitched in relief in Boston, for example, I think the game was delayed more than 2 hours and thus didn't finish until after 2 A.M. That just doesn't happen in Japan.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 10, 2011 5:12 PM ]

Here is another set of pictures [Link - in Japanese with photos].

Hanshin Engei is probably the most famous ground crew in Japan. Here is how they do it [Link - in Japanese with photos.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.