Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Going to my First Japanese Baseball Game?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Going to my First Japanese Baseball Game?
Hi everyone. I will be in Osaka at the beginning of July and I see that the Buffalos will play the Hawks at the Kyocera Dome. My girlfriend and I plan to be there, but this being our first Japanese baseball game, I have a few questions:
  1. Can I just walk up and buy tickets at game time or do I need to reserve?

2. I would like to sit in the outfield seats, but it seems like that's where all the hardcore fans are, all standing and singing. Would we be considered very rude or out-of-place if we don't participate in the cheering activities?

3. Is one side of the outfield seats dedicated to the visitor fans and one side for the home fans?

4. Any other fan etiquette or tips you guys can teach a first-timer?

Thank you very much for your reading and replies.
Comments
Re: Going to my First Japanese Baseball Game?
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 15, 2011 6:07 AM | HAN Fan ]

I'll let some else answer about the tickets because I've only gone to games where friends or a league official already had tickets for me.

I have sat in the outfield seats near the "ouedan" or cheering section. Anyone one can sit there; just don't cheer for the opposing team of the section you are in.

Food vendors have a great selection outside of the park that are less expensive and often tastier than what's in the park. You can bring it into the park.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: Jun 16, 2011 8:29 AM | LOT Fan ]

You won't need to buy tickets ahead of time as Kyocera is rarely sold out, but that is a weekend series so the outfield stands are likely to be full.

It's not really bad form to not participate in the cheering in general, but keep in mind everyone will be standing and such so if you want to relax and talk during the game you won't be able to do that. Cheering for the other team is an absolute no-no if you are sitting in the cheering section for one of the teams.

One side of the outfield is home and the other is visitor. The Hawks are a popular team so their side should be pretty full. Your best bet on seats might be to get the infield unreserved and you can sit wherever you want.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 18, 2011 9:56 AM ]

A quick look at the Lawson ticket site shows that--at least for the Saturday game--the general admission outfield seats are sold out. You might have to settle for another section. I doubt the game would completely sell out, but better to get your tickets a bit before game day if you can.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.