Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ban on players who skip the draft?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Ban on players who skip the draft?
I was doing some research on Japanese baseball and was hoping you could clarify one point. When Junichi Tazawa asked not to be drafted and went straight to MLB, there was talk in NPB of placing a 2-year ban on players if they wished to return to Japan after taking such a route. My question is, was that policy actually officially put in place? Or was it just an idle threat and still under consideration?
Comments
Re: Ban on players who skip the draft?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 24, 2011 11:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hmm. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if the owners went through with their threat of a 2-year ban or not. That is, I'm not sure that they went through with writing it into the rules. If not, then there's no incentive for any team to follow such a threat if they think he's worth a try. And I can't imagine such a black listing standing up in court should anyone want to challenge such a rule.

I think that it was just the NPB dinosaurs posturing, showing their power (or lack thereof). I was looking for the rule book, but seemed to have lost my bookmark for it on the Japan Professional Baseball Players Association site. That would be the definitive document to answer the question.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.