Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pasa Rosa Faces?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Pasa Rosa Faces?
Hello,

I just finished the excellent 'You Gotta Have Wa' and this particular sentence left me perplexed:

Miniskirted pom-pom girls with pasa rosa faces assist them in their cause.

The presence of italics suggests its either a romanji spelling of some katakana phrase or accented English like basebaru appears in the book. It is only mentioned once, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what a pasa rosa face would even be. Anyone know?

Searching for pasa rosa, pasa rosa face, or パサロサ does not turn up anything useful.
Comments
Re: Pasa Rosa Faces?
[ Author: Guest: Jerkface | Posted: Jun 28, 2012 4:41 AM ]

Bump?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 28, 2012 3:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, yes. Sorry about the delay in answering this one. I had read that as "Miniskirted pom-pom girls with rosy cheeked faces...." I fear that I often just fill in unknown words with what I think will fit and make sense. As there are still a lot of Kanji that I don't know, that doesn't always turn out well.

So rather than guessing, I went to the source. Whiting-san was kind enough to reply that I wasn't far off. He says that it comes from Spanish and literally means "faces going or turning pink."

Whiting-san followed up by saying, "Jim Bailey used it long ago in a review about a movie about teenage girls in Japan and it just stuck with me. It seemed to suit Koshien in the summer heat." I agree.

That was an interesting question. Thank you.
[ Author: Guest: Jerkface | Posted: Oct 26, 2012 12:58 AM ]

Thank you so much for finding out! That certainly makes sense, and he is right that it does fit the atmosphere he is describing. Great!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.