Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

We Want to See a Major League Game in Japan

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
We Want to See a Major League Game in Japan
Hello, my husband and I would like to see a Japanese major league game on March 24th. When does the season start? Are there generally games on a Monday morning?

How much does it cost to attend per person? Do you know where we can purchase tickets online?

Thank you,
Jelyn
Comments
Re: We Want to See a Major League Game in Japan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 15, 2013 11:21 PM | YBS Fan ]

I'm afraid that the news is not very good for your plans.

For the past several seasons, the season has been scheduled to start the last weekend (or Friday) of March. In preparation for Opening Day, teams have generally had the week starting from the previous Monday off. Monday, March 24 is that Monday from which all the teams begin their final preparations without games. While the schedule for 2014 is not yet out, I have no reason to believe that the schedule would be any different.

What's more, unless Monday is a national holiday, Monday tends to act as the traditional day of rest for both leagues. There was one season when the Pacific League played Monday games and took Thursdays off. But it's been a very long time.

Costs, depending on the venue and seat, can cost between ¥1,000 for general admision (no reserved seats, and you may not get one) to ¥15,000 (field level seats) per person. Naturally, there's a wide range of prices in the middle.

Tickets can be purchased online, but you must be able to read Japanese. Furthermore, tickets go on sale 4 to 6 weeks before the actual game, so it's hard to prepare this far ahead of time.

Despite the bleak outlook, I hope this helps.
Re: We Want to See a Major League Game in Japan
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Oct 17, 2013 11:53 PM | CHU Fan ]

I would recommend JapanBallTickets for getting tickets in advance if you're not a Japanese speaker/reader (like me). I used them to get tickets for a couple open-sen (pre-season) games last March and it was pretty slick. The tickets showed up at my hotel a couple days before the first game. It's a little pricey ($60 service charge on top of the face value of the tickets) but given the issues I had trying to pantomime my way through buying a general admission ticket for an industrial league game at Jingu, I think it was well worth paying someone else to get the tickets for me.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.