Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

You Gotta Have Wa

Discussion in the Book Reviews forum
You Gotta Have Wa
I am new to this book (and NPB), and it is fascinating!

Do teams still train like that? Is the "Chuck Manuel" described in the book the same "Charlie Manuel" that is now managing the Phillies of MLB?

Once I am done, I am going to look for a bigraphy of Cromartie and the Lee brothers.

Stan
Comments
Re: You Gotta Have Wa
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 11:22 AM ]

Manuel is one and the same. Cromartie did an autobiography called Slugging It Out in Japan, which is rather good also.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Jim Gribbins | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 12:49 PM ]

Jim,

I just finished "You Gotta have Wa" and I enjoyed the book. It enlightened me on the behind the scenes issues that go on. I spent 1998-2004 living on Okinawa and went to spring camps every year. I enjoy the game and keep up with the Tigers through several websites. Is there a more up to date book on Pro Yakyu that may be worth reading?

Thanks.

Jim Gribbins
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 23, 2005 1:48 PM ]

The book "Remembering Japanese Baseball: An Oral History of the Game" [Amazon] by Rob Fitts and "The Meaning of Ichiro: The New Wave and the Transformation of our National Pastime" [Amazon] are good readings.

I need to try and find "You Gotta Have Wa" and "The Meaning of Ichiro." I wasn't able to get the "Meaning of Ichiro" at the Aberdeen Ironbirds fanfest a few years ago, I really wish I could have gotten it as I've been interested in reading both for a while now.
[ Author: hillsy | Posted: Sep 28, 2005 2:17 AM | CD Fan ]

All of Whiting-san's books are good reads. His first book on Pro Yakyu was "The Chrysanthemum and the Bat," and I believe he even co-wrote "Slugging it out in Japan" with Warren Cromartie.

On a side note, "The Meaning of Ichiro" was retitled "The Samurai Way of Baseball: The Impact of Ichiro and the New Wave from Japan" when put into softcover, and has some added chapters at the end, so if you haven't gotten it yet, I'd buy the update.
[ Author: Guest: helppp plzzz | Posted: Apr 1, 2008 1:59 AM ]

Can I get a brief summary of this book? I started reading this and I need to type it up.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 11, 2010 10:47 PM ]

This was mentioned elsewhere on the site, but a new edition of "You Gotta Have Wa" came out in the past year. It's the same book, but with a new foreword and afterword, mostly focusing on foreign managers in Japan. So, if you do pick up the book, I'd recommend getting the latest edition. Bobby V. and Trey Hillman are both gone now, but they both had an interesting impact on the game here.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.