Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

U.S.West Communications Services, Inc. Blocked

Discussion in the Administrative forum
U.S.West Communications Services, Inc. Blocked
One of my roles as administrator of this server is to be up to date on security advisories. Along with patching this system and maintaining settings that will make it harder for hackers to walk right in, I also monitor attacks on the system. And there has been a very sharp increase in MS Windows infected attacks recently.

One site in particular has been attacking this system relentlessly. The offending machine is the domain block of:

U.S.West Communications Services, Inc.
600 Stinson Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55413,
US

I have been sending messages notifying abuse@uswest.net of this since last week, and the attacks have only increased, not decreased. If fact, it has attacked well over 50 times per hour today (3/4) alone.

I had hoped to avoid it, but it looks as though the only course to get their attention and to remedy their Microsoft infection is to block their domain all together. Those of you in Minneapolis who can read this at work but not at home, I'm truely sorry that it had to come down to this. But since I'm not one of USWest's customers, my concerns of a safe Internet don't seem to matter to them. Only you can get them to change their lax policy toward allowing the spread of infections to continue. Please contact them and let them know that I will not remove this filter until I hear the reason why my notifications were ignored for almost a full week.

I apologize for any inconvience it may cause you fans using USWest.net.
Comments
Re: U.S.West Communications Services, Inc. Blocked
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Mar 4, 2002 4:50 PM ]

USWest's service here in Minnesota has truly been sad. My family was hooked up to the internet via USWest, but then they switched our service to Qwest, and then they switched our service to MSN. MSN was so bad, we dropped them as soon as possible in favor of a cable modem and AT&T Broadband service. Used as I am to the excellent service in Japan, I was honestly shocked at what happened with MSN. At one point, our service completely shut down for two days. For two days we could not access the internet. Calls to MSN were routed to a recording that said "Some people may experience difficulty connecting." Getting a hold of a human being was less helpful, as they only had my mother go through the steps of setting up another Dial-Up Connection!

When I was in Japan, my ISP was Momotaro Internet Club. As ISPs go, it was a small, regional one, with APs all over Japan, but concentrated mainly in the Gifu/Nagoya area. As a user, their website was quite informative, unlike msn.com. When they were doing construction to the lines, they would send out a notice much ahead of time saying "From such-and-such a time until such-and-such a time, your service will be down due to construction. We sincerely apologize for the delay." And by God, by the time that deadline was reached, service was back on. I used their ISDN service with nary a hitch, but at first I used their dial-up service. Once in a while, I would be unable to connect. If I tried an hour later, without fail I would connect with no problems. Now that was service, man, and I'm ashamed that I didn't realize and appreciate it at the time. I actually got peeved on those rare occasions that I couldn't connect, and thought the emails telling me what APs would be down for construction bordered on spam! Little did I know how U.S. ISPs were regularly screwing their clientle.

I haven't been back in the States for even a year yet, but already the thing that has me itching to get back to Japan is the lousy service and customer relations endemic to American service industries.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.