Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Asian Baseball Forum

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Asian Baseball Forum
I've added a new forum to cover baseball Around Asia.

Several people had posted articles on Taiwanese and Korean baseball over the past couple of years, which I deleted on the grounds that they had nothing to do with Japanese baseball, the focus of this site. As there doesn't seem to be an international forum for fans of these other Far East baseball leagues, and such fans do gravite here, I figured that this would be as good a place as any to start such a forum.

For the time being, the Around Asia forum will focus on both Taiwanese and Korean baseball. If there is enough interest in both, I'll break it up into two forums later.

I don't really know much about baseball in either league, so this forum will be run by you. I would certainly like to learn more, and look forward to reading about baseball played by our neighbors.
Comments
Re: Asian Baseball Forum
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 28, 2002 1:49 AM | HAN Fan ]

Thank you for adding this forum. Historically, Baseball in Taiwan and Korea have been linked to Japan especially when both the former were Japanese colonies.

A few Taiwanese teams actually won the Nippon High Championships. At first the Taiwanese teams were made up of Japanese living in Taiwan; then a combination of Taiwanese and Japanese. Most notably, the aboriginal natives of Taiwan came to dominate Taiwanese baseball.

There are numerous Japanese coaches and players in present day Taiwan's CPBL and TML. Many Latin and North American players use Taiwan pro ball as a springboard to NPB.

Throughout the years, Korean and Taiwanese players have sprinkled the rosters of NPB.

Also the KBO, before they allowed non-Koreans, had Inchun Baek (Jinten Haku) and Niura from NPB playing in Korea.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.