Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Problems accessing this site

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Problems accessing this site
Has anyone else been problems getting this site? The last two or three weeks Explorer wouldn't find this site.
Comments
Re: Problems accessing this site
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 28, 2002 4:27 PM | YBS Fan ]

While IE is a problem in and of itself, in this case, it's not the culprit.

Your ISP, NoCharge.com, is responsible for a number of formmail attacks on my server and was blocked. The technique of blocking ISPs from where formmail attacks originate has been more efficient at keeping spam to a minimum than procmail rules and other filtering techniques.

Because NoCharge.com does not appear to have an abuse team to notify of attacks in the whois database, and the name suggests that it will be a source of more attacks, I blocked it straight away.

USWest and QWest are two major ISPs I've blocked after their security teams failed three times over at least a week to stop attacks from the same address on their networks.

I'm serious about putting a stop to spam, and if there's some collateral damage along the way, I'm sorry. But the sad truth of the matter is that many ISPs aren't interested in hearing from me since I'm not paying them, while spammers are.

I reset my block list for port 80 (web server) last night. But any repeat offenders will be blocked without further notification.

If you suddently can't access the site for a number of days, this is most likely the cause. The only way to get connected again is to contact your ISP and have them contact me (through a differant ISP as their mail is blocked, too) to let me know that they are responsive to attacks by their users on other systems.

I hope that helps clear things up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.