Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Effects of the WBC?

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Effects of the WBC?
Westbaystars-san, you have often hinted that quite a bit of "noise caused by spammers, trolls, flamers, and racists" is filtered out of these forums (thanks for that).

Just out of interest: has there been any change in the volume or nature of that noise as a result of Japanese baseball's exposure as a result of the WBC?
Comments
Re: Effects of the WBC?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 28, 2006 4:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

Interestingly enough, no. The "noise" level has been pretty consistent (just a couple/few a week). In fact, excluding the "Ichiro Statement" thread, the amound of spam and inflamitory comments posted acutally went down the main two weeks of the WBC.

People asking questions without even attempting to look for the answers first are increasing, but that happens at the beginning of every season.

I was braced for a lot more country jockying, but everyone was very supportive of the Japanese and Korean teams. The Davidson Effect?

Does anyone know how the MLB.com chat rooms were? I figure that that's where most North American fans would head to chat about the WBC, for better or worse.
Re: Effects of the WBC?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 28, 2006 9:11 PM | HT Fan ]

That's interesting. I'd have expected some "I don't care who won the WBC, [insert country name] is the greatest baseball-playing country on the planet, and Japanese baseball is #*$+&% and anyone who says otherwise is a #*$+&%, too!" - type of stuff.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.