Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu English Stats

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Pro Yakyu English Stats
As mentioned in several other threads, I've written a script to pull data from TBS Radio's team pages and translated them to romaji (the Roman alphabet) for presentation here. To keep things on the up-and-up, I've also notified them of what I am doing and appealed to them that, if they want me to remove the data, to put something up in romaji for the non-Kanji reading community.

Current problems with the system include:

• Kintetsu's page doesn't process properly.
  • Team games are calculated from data entered seperately, so border-line title qualifiers may be grouped incorrect at a given time.

You can get current batting and pitching data from the Teams page, click on the "Stats" link for a given team. If I get no objections from TBS within this next week, I'll put title qualifiers on the top page along with standings.

I think that this closes the current biggest information void for the non-Kanji reading Pro Yakyu community. I sincerely hope that we can keep this going.

If there is any change in the situation, it will be posted here. You comments on the stats are also welcome.

Comments
Kintetsu Stats Fixed
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 15, 2003 4:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. This bug with Kintetsu's page not parsing has annoyed me to no end. I've looked into the matter and found that the page is encoded in ISO-2022-JP (JIS) encoding for everything except Kakei Yujiro's name, which is encoded in EUC-JP. All Greek to you? Don't worry about it. Manipulating character encodings are one of the funner points of my job. (And I really do enjoy my job.)

Now that I've got Kakei processing properly (and he has no ichi-gun stats anyway), all teams' players are now accounted for. (If you see a "Fix me" in any list, please post about it as I know I'll need to add the new foreign players to my master table soon.)

Now that this is done, I'll try to tackle the "leaders' board" some time this next week.
Leaders' Board
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 26, 2003 10:06 PM | YBS Fan ]

As was asked for by a number of you, I've now gotten the batting and pitching title races up and running on the top page along with current standings and some other miscellany.

I think that that should pretty much conclude the "current statistics in English" portion of the site for this season.

Note, there is a time lag between automatically retrieving the player data from TBS Radio and typing in scores by hand. Because the number of games a given team has played determines who qualifies for listing on the leaders' tables, there may be some border-line plate appearances cases who are listed when they should not be. Since the only time it really matters is at the end of the season, I hope you'll allow me this slight descrepency.
Re: Leaders' Board
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jun 29, 2003 11:49 AM | HT Fan ]

Looks great, Westbay-san. I suspect I speak for many, many people when I say thank you very much for putting in the time.

One small concern: Both Johjima and Iguchi are currently hitting .331, but I can find neither player on the PL BA leaders list. Perhaps Hawks' players aren't being included because of a glitch?
Re: Leaders' Board
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 29, 2003 6:43 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Perhaps Hawks' players aren't being included because of a glitch?

Yes, there was a glitch. I mis-spelled Daiei's team ID in my query. It's fixed now. Thanks for catching that.
Re: Pro Yakyu English Stats
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 3, 2003 9:06 AM | YBS Fan ]

Guest "Andy" pointed out that stats for Seibu and others were not coming up today (June 3, 2003). Checking my log files, I see that my script failed midway through getting data last night. Attempts to re-run the script fail, suggesting that TBS has either changed their format or taken other measures to prevent me from getting the stats. (They could have told me. I did notify them.)

I've reverted the stats to be up to the end of play on June 1. I'll look into what's been done after work tonight (JST) and see if I can do anything. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention so quickly.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 4, 2003 12:18 AM | YBS Fan ]

I've made some trivial, performance changes to my script, but nothing that would really make a difference. Yet, that seems to have worked. The scripts work again - so it's not a matter of TBS blocking my IP address as I first feared.

I wish I had more information to give you as to why the scripts suddenly stopped working - and just on the Pacific League. But I'm not sure what is different.

Please notify me if you see the current data broken again. Thanks again for the quick heads up.
Problem with PA
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 4, 2003 7:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

Comparing leaders on the top page with those in the newspaper, I found that the Shiotani (of the BlueWave) is not listed here, but is in Nikkan Sports. Further investigation showed that my calculations for plate appearances are lacking an important field, sacrifice flies.

The data from TBS does not have sacrifice flies, so I thought that they were included in with the "sacrifice hits." But that doesn't appear to be the case as, as of the end of play on July 3, 2003, Shiotani has 194 AB, 3 Sacs, 11 BB, and 0 HBP for a total of 208 PA from what I can calculate. Orix has played 68 games, so 68 * 3.1 = 210 (truncating the decimal point), leaving Shiotani two plate appearances short. However, Nikkan Sports reports that he has 2 sacrifice flies, which would put him right on the border line to qualify, as he does in the official postings.

I don't plan on doing anything about this discrepency in the near future. (Year end data will be complete.) But I wanted to make sure that you all are aware that the leaders' board is not complete, and why.
Puerto Rican Players in Japanese League
[ Author: Guest: Bert Charneco | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 11:30 PM ]

I am interested on the final statistics, 2003, of Puerto Rican players playing in the Japanese League and Taiwanese League. Some of the Puerto Rican players in Japan may include Luis Ivan Cruz, first baseman; Pedro Valdes, outfielder; Boi Rodriguez, first baseman, outfielder. Another possibility is Leo Gomez, third baseman, although I think he may have retired.

Thanks, Bert Charneco
[ Author: Guest: Jordan | Posted: Dec 10, 2003 1:45 AM ]

I'm looking for Ichiro Suzuki's career & season-by-season fielding stats. Only his offensive stats are posted. Thanks.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 15, 2003 10:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

[ Author: Guest: ivan almonte | Posted: Apr 21, 2005 6:45 AM ]

Hey, how can I find stats? My brother plays for the Fighters, Erick Almonte.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 21, 2005 9:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

I was waiting a month to see if anyone else would be posting stats in English this year, namely NPB-BIS (Nippon Professional Baseball - Baseball Information System), who keeps all of the offical stats and used to publish updates once a week in English. Oddly enough, the former web site for NPB-BIS now redirects to the official NPB site which no longer mentions NPB-BIS. It also doesn't have nearly as much information as NPB-BIS put out in Japanese (which was decreasing year by year anyway).

In the mean time, Borisov-san's site has the leaders and box scores to games. If I don't find more current stats in English by Golden Week (April 29-May 5), I'll rev up my scripts to gather the information again this year.

By the way, all the information I've read has your brother's name spelled "Eric" not "Erick." Is "Erick" correct? Or was that a type miss?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.