Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

National Treasure of Korea

Discussion in the Administrative forum
National Treasure of Korea
He was called "son of the wind" in Korea because he was a very fast. He was like Ichiro in Korea. In his first year in the Japanese league he was doing very well until he got hit by a pitch. That hit by pitch was controversial as to whether it was really targeting his elbow or not. He finally got his revenge on TEAM JAPAN in the WBC 2006. His double gave Korea the win over Japan. In the interview that followed he said, "I am very happy that I am a Korean." Very cool Man.
Comments
Re: National Treasure of Korea
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 18, 2006 9:25 AM | HAN Fan ]

?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 18, 2006 10:11 AM | YBS Fan ]

This is most likely for including in a player profile. But as Christopher so aptly pointed out, there is no name associated with it.

I think that he's referring to Seung-Yeop Lee (who did very well in the WBC against Japan), but I didn't know he was that fast before coming to Japan. I wanted to go through the WBC box scores to check the plays referred to before committing the comment to his profile (if that's who it's for).

I confess that I don't always verify the biographical comments that people post. But without a name, I at least want to verify that I'm associating the comment with the right person.
[ Author: Dragsfan | Posted: Dec 18, 2006 11:28 AM | CD Fan ]

The shattered elbow thing sounds like Drags SS Jeong-Bum Lee. The pitcher was Hanshin's Kawajiri. Where in most any other situations then-Drags' manager Hoshino would have wigged out and run on to the field like his pants had caught fire, this time he just said "a guy's got to be able to pitch inside."

Lee did well enough at the plate for the Drags and was a play-maker, but he had a lot of fielding issues at short. I think he played CF in the WBC.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 18, 2006 2:50 PM | HAN Fan ]

Jeong-Bum Lee was often referred to as Korea's "Ichiro" in the 1990s before he joined the Chunichi Dragons.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 18, 2006 8:42 PM | CLM Fan ]

I really did like that Korean WBC team. They played a brand of baseball I really enjoy watching. That Park guy at shortstop was amazing, too. It's a shame that so many of the fans made it a political thing and disrespected the game by putting Korea the country vs. Japan the country, as opposed to just two great baseball teams just trying to show their best.

That said, I am really liking what NPB is doing recently with the many Asian player signings. It's really going to help raise the level of the Asian game.

To stay somewhat on topic, I am 100% sure the original poster was talking about J.B. Lee.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.