Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

News Portal

Discussion in the Administrative forum
News Portal
As there is still no word from Borisov-san, I've finally gotten around to implementing a way to bring you baseball news similar to Borisov-san's front page. Those of you browsing tonight (March 5, 2007 JST) will have noticed a lot of posts in the News and Nichi-Bei sections linking to stories from around the Internet. The top page of this site also has the latest 20 stories have have been gathered.

So, that's one of Borisov-san's functions taken care of. What about box scores?

Well, I'm working with another programmer right now who would like to provide that feature to you here on this site. We've got some integration to do, but we hope to have the system ready by opening day.

Slowly, things are starting to come together, and I think that this will be the best year yet for getting you stats and information for your Pro Yakyu fix.
Comments
Re: News Portal
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Mar 6, 2007 11:15 AM | HT Fan ]

Michael, it's great what you're doing, but the sheer number of news items tends to crowd out the regular discussion topics. I wonder if it's possible to establish another separate section for straight news, or even combine the items. Or have a news sidebar as in Borisov's site.

I suppose what I'm saying is that your site design is perfect for forums, but doesn't work as effectively with news items.

Just a friendly observation.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 6, 2007 5:59 PM | HT Fan ]

Impressive. I like it. Mijow-san has a point about the crowding, but still this is a positive move.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 6, 2007 7:46 PM | YBS Fan ]

I agree about the over crowding. But I wanted a way to make discussing current news easier, so it made sense to have the news feeds go into the forum system.

Thanks to Mijow's feedback, I've created not two, but four new forums to deal with news feeds:
  • Pro Yakyu News - English News feeds about Pro Yakyu and Asian baseball
  • MLB News - English News feeds about Japanese (and Asian) players in MLB or the minors
  • プロ野球ニュース - Japanese news feeds about Pro Yakyu and Asian baseball
  • MLBニュース - Japanese news feeds about Japanese (and Asian) players in MLB or the minors
I'll be setting up something on the side bar to suggest articles, and will probably be recruiting the more prolific contributors of you to submit them directly in the near future. (I've got to make sure the system is running smoothly first.)
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Mar 6, 2007 10:27 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I like it. I was a bit overwhelmed at first trying to take in all the changes. But I think it looks good and it's great to have that amount of news available.

Great work!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Mar 7, 2007 12:12 AM | HT Fan ]

It looks better now. And creating those extra forums for news in Japanese is also a great idea.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Mar 8, 2007 9:22 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Question -- since you have set up news portals, should individuals not post news they come upon?

Example: I post a link occasionally to a Nippon Ham article I read, but now that's most likely being covered in the news portals.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 8, 2007 9:54 PM | YBS Fan ]

Post it. It's just as likely that I'll miss it (unless it's on one of the usual places I go to, which I think is rather clear now).

I'm still experimenting with the news portal. For example, there are a couple articles there that have gotten comments, so I've moved them to other forums so that they don't get barried. On the other hand, there are many news articles in the general News forum that get no discussion at all, and would perhaps be better off in the portal.

User suggestions for news is something that I want to setup soon. Very soon. Once that's done, I think that the flow will be more natural.
[ Author: Animaru Resulie | Posted: Mar 9, 2007 8:10 PM | HT Fan ]

If you need any help in translations for your 日本語フォーラムス, glad to be of assistance.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 10, 2007 12:06 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'd love to have some of the articles in the Japaense news translated (and placed in the regular News section). Especially the ones dealing with the Executive Committee, Players Association, etc. As you can tell, I'm not very strong with business Japanese, but I feel that this aspect is not being covered in English at all, so I do what I can.

In the end, though, it's got to be something that interests you. There are lots of categories that the English press is ignoring: Koshien, the current shakai tournament in Tokyo, the Yu-chan hype (which I'm getting an alergy to, but others might be interested), the semi-pro leagues in Shikoku and up north, etc.

So, just grab an article and run with it. Insert as much or as little of your personal commentary that you like. The more interested in the topic you are, the better the translation is, I'm sure.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.