Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Constructive Cricicism

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Constructive Cricicism
Westbaystars-san:

I saw that you requested some constructive feedback on another thread, so I've decided to post a new thread specifically for this topic.

I've always found the site extremely easy to navigate (though I have kind of a technical background), but one improvement I can think of is to list the messages and responeses in a branching tree format, rather than listing all the messages on the same page. Using a tree style would allow the viewer to choose specific messages to read, and better organize divirgent threads.

Also, I recall that last year you had an English language standings and leaders table, which, iirc, was generated by pulling the stats from a Japanese web site and traslating them to English. I thought that was quite clever, but it took a long time to load. Would it be possible to program a bot to grab the info once a day (after the games), then put it all cached file? That should load faster, right?

All in all, a great site. I particularly enjoy hearing from some of the former players. I hope this helps.
Comments
Re: Constructive Cricicism
[ Author: rhdorsey | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 1:50 PM ]

Often, particularly in threads that have a lot of responses, the entries aren't always in chronological order. Often, the most recent entries wind up somewhere in the middle of the thread. It's as if some entries are deleted and new ones are put in their place instead being put at the bottom where they belong. This makes finding the most recent post a bit of a scavenger hunt. This should be corrected, perhaps by compressing the thread after deletions are made, if that is possible.

Also, I think it would be better if long threads were organized into pages, like other message boards.

Overall, I enjoy the site a lot.

Thanx for your attention.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 30, 2004 12:11 AM | YBS Fan ]

The standings and leader page was thrown together in an evening, and you're right, it really needed to be cached. I'll do that one right this year. I'll get to that one after the Central League starts next week so that I don't have to deal with the condition of not having one league in play, yet.

And it looks like personal preferences are needed for how the messages are laid out.

These are some good comments. Thank you.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Apr 27, 2004 9:42 AM ]

Westbay-san:

Before I made my recent request on manager birthdates, I used the search function and couldn't find what I was looking for. Then I learned the men I was looking for were listed in the Meikan. Can you find a way to tie the Meikan into the search function?

Jim Albright
Search Function
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 27, 2004 1:12 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've also found the built in search to be wanting. That's why I tend to enter:
    site:www.japanesebaseball.com
before keywords on Google when I want to find something I know is here. I think I'll change the search functionality to redirect to Google. Their search engine is much better.
Re: Search Function
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Apr 28, 2004 12:05 AM ]

You may mean this approach, but I'm not clear, so I'll ask. Are you talking about possibly sending to Google the request that is typed in plus the URL? That would be nice if it is practical to do.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Apr 29, 2004 11:25 PM ]

One other suggestion: in the Meikan, you've got the "A" for the "A" surnames, etc. Why don't you put an anchor on each letter at the head of the surnames beginning with that letter, and then create an alphabet at the very top of the page which you could click and it would send you to that anchor on that letter of the alphabet. It would help those of us who aren't real quick on the scrolling to get to the right place a lot quicker, especially for names at the end of the alphabet.

Jim Albright
Find in Page
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 30, 2004 12:42 AM | YBS Fan ]

That's a good idea. I think I had originally planned to do that.

In the mean time, I'd suggest you use Mozilla FireFox. It has "type ahead search" in pages. For example, if I want to get to the the "M"s, I just type "matsui" on the page and it jumps right there (after hitting the first name with an "m," then the first one with an "ma," etc.). Short names or those with common beginnings and endings (like "naka," "yoshi," "oh," and others) are a little harder to jump to without knowing both first and last names. But for the most part, I jump to the neiborhood of who I'm looking for without the need of a search dialog box. Real innovation happens in Open Source.
Leaders' Board
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 3, 2004 5:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Also, I recall that last year you had an English language standings and leaders table, which, iirc, was generated by pulling the stats from a Japanese web site and traslating them to English. I thought that was quite clever, but it took a long time to load. Would it be possible to program a bot to grab the info once a day (after the games), then put it all cached file? That should load faster, right?

Done. This was a big thing I wanted to do when I redid the site (which I haven't done yet). But then Borisov-san started putting a lot of this up, so I figured that I didn't need to. But then, I wasn't satisfied with the number of fields or the arrangement (title qualifiers aren't separated), so I'm back to pulling data from TBS - but now I'm generating cached pages along with the pull script. As you pointed out, this method is much faster.

So, the standings and leaders page is back up, and it now loads several orders of magnitude quicker than last year.

Note: I'm still working on getting the players' registered names synchronized with TBS (this is how I "translate" the data), and late signees also need to be entered, so there are a number of "Fix Me"s on the page right now. Also, I'm a couple weeks behind in entering scores, so too many people qualify for titles (one variable is the number of games played by the team, which is taken from the game schedules/scores table).
Search by Google
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 26, 2004 11:35 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've been spending a lot of time lately pointing people to information that I've found via a Google search on this site. Several people have pointed out that the local search functionality is poor at best, so why don't I redirect to Google?

Well, I've done just that. The search functionality now uses Google and will give you much better results. You can also search Garland-san's JapanBaseballDaily.com from the search page, since he's focussed primarilly on Japanese baseball as well. If I can figure out how to narrow it down to a path, I'll consider including Albright-san's BaseballGuru site some time in the future.

So, with this, you all can now find things on this site as easilly as I do (with Mozilla's built-in Google search functionality).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.