Bessho: Correction and Suggestion

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Bessho: Correction and Suggestion
Correction:

Bessho Takehiko is correct, not Takehiro
Bats/Throws right/right hight 182cm
Until 1948 he was Bessho Akira (昭)
Played at Koshien in 1941.

Why don't you add titles in players section? It would be nice to know what players were like. And about born place, it is confusing that you write the city name and prefecture name in the same way.

Titles:
Best winning percentage 1948 (.722)
Best ERA 1955 (1.33)
Strike Outs 1947 (191)
Wins 1947:30, 1952:33, 1956:27
Best Nine (1947:P, 1948:P, 1951:P, 1952:P, 1955:P, 1956:P)
Sawamura Award (1947, 1955)
MVP 1952:CL, 1956:CL)
No Hitter 1943.5.26
CG 47 in 1947 is the most in NPB
Manager: 1968-1970 (Sankei)
Hall of Fame: 1979
Comments
Re: Bessho: Correction and Suggestion
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 30, 2004 10:47 AM | YBS Fan ]

I've corrected Takehiro to Takehiko [Profile]. I also added weight, height ("The Official Baseball Encyclopedia 2004" has him listed as 181cm tall), bats, throws, and that he played at Koshien. (I didn't have this information available when I added him.) Thanks for catching these.

As for birth place, the prefecture is as detailed as the Japanese player registries that I have are for Japanese players. Foreign players are a mess of city, state, or country - depending on how the player filled out his forms. All of the players I've entered up until now have been from those. However, I now have a book ("Biographical Dictionary of Japanese Professional Baseball Players 1936-2001") which does go into more detailed resolution. So it's just a matter of time before I start entering birth places in more detail. But other things have priority. Integrating my data with the SABR Baseball-Databank data should help clear up any confusion between city, state, prefecture, country information as I'm helping to redesign that database to contain such metadata.

Thanks to the generous contributions of Eng-san (see his Japanese Baseball Database), I hope to integrate awards soon. There is some other integration between his and my database necessary before I can do this, but it is high on my TODO list.

Thank you again for the corrections. Right now those have the highest priority over anything and will get done right away. And as more data comes in, there's still lots of room for improvement.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.