Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yabu to Start for Oakland

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Yabu to Start for Oakland
Yabu is going to start next Wednesday against the Red Sox, replacing the injured Rich Harden. Let's hope it goes better than the last time he faced them out of the bullpen at Fenway.
Macha did, however, have a choice regarding who'll take Harden's spot in the rotation. On Sunday he chose Keiichi Yabu, who retired the first 11 batters he faced in relief of Harden on Friday and is 2-0 with a 2.55 ERA out of Oakland's bullpen.

"He's earned it," Macha said. "He's pitched very well."

[From Admin: Where are you quoting from? Ink or link? Please site source.]
Comments
Re: Yabu to Start for Oakland
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 16, 2005 10:03 AM | HT Fan ]

Quoted from MLB.com.

[From Admin: Thank you.]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 17, 2005 2:17 AM ]

I hope Yabu can do well against the Red Sox. They do have some tough lefty hitters in Damon, Ortiz, Nixon, Varitek (switch hitter), and Mueller.
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 17, 2005 2:07 PM | HT Fan ]

I hope Yabu just trusts himself on Wednesday against the RedSox, in his first start.

I was noticing tonight, out of the pen, he quickly got the bases loaded by walking two batters, because he was nibbling, which lead him to get into trouble last time. But after he just started throwing strikes, to big bats like Ortiz and Manny, his stuff was untouchable. I don't know if he just doesn't want to be "tagged" by big hitters, but if he trusts his stuff, he'll do fine.

Once he seemingly started throwing strikes, he got 3 Ks in the next 4 ABs.

All pitchers do this, but it's just a thought.

Anyways, good article about Yabu in prep for his first start here [MLB.com]
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 17, 2005 3:33 PM | HT Fan ]

Ah. Since Yabu was used today against the Sox, he will not start Wednesday. :/
Yabu, who was expected to be Oakland's starter on Wednesday, allowed four hits and three walks in two innings, yet still got the win. Seth Etherton will get Wednesday's start instead, manager Ken Macha said. [Recap - Yahoo! Sports]
Let's hope he gets a chance in the future.
[ Author: ConditionOakland | Posted: May 26, 2005 6:32 PM | HT Fan ]

I have a strong feeling Yabu will start sometime soon for Oakland. Today, the current struggling 5th starter, rookie Joe Blanton, gave up 8 runs in the first inning. This has been the second time in a row he has gotten blown out in the first inning, and his confidence seems to be in the gutter.

Right now, the Oakland Athletics' official website, it also says the upcoming pitchers for Oakland are "TBA" (To Be Announced), so that is a strong sign that there are adjustments being made.

I say look for him to start this weekend or early next week.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.