Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Andy Abad/Timo Perez/Julio Franco

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Andy Abad/Timo Perez/Julio Franco
Did anyone else notice that former Kintetsu Buffaloes outfielder Andy Abad made the Cincinnati Reds' opening day roster? I remember him playing briefly with the Buffs a long time ago, but it was so long ago that I don't remember when. I think it might've been the late '90s.

Speaking of the Reds, former Hiroshima outfielder-1st baseman Timo Perez had signed with the Reds in the off-season, but I can't find his name anywhere. He won a ring last year with the ChiSox, but I don't know where he is now. Does anyone know if Perez is playing in Mexico or somewhere else this season?

Julio Franco is now playing with the Mets at age 47. He's the most amazing older athlete since Gordie Howe who played hockey well into his 50s and actually played alongside his sons with the Hartford Whalers. Franco actually signed a 2-year deal with the Mets in the off-season, so if he plays the full 2 years, he'll be 50 when the deal expires since his birthday is in August.
Comments
Re: Andy Abad/Timo Perez/Julio Franco
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 4, 2006 10:51 PM ]

"Did anyone else notice that former Kintetsu Buffaloes outfielder Andy Abad made the Cincinnati Reds' opening day roster?"

Yes, MLB.com had a nice article about Abad making the team. Abad had a huge spring this year batting .319 with 2 HR and 9 RBI in 28 games.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060402&content_id=1380597&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

"I remember him playing briefly with the Buffs a long time ago, but it was so long ago that I don't remember when. I think it might've been the late '90s."

Yes, he did indeed play with the Kintestu Buffaloes in 2000.

http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/foreignbattingAbad-Bernazard.html

"Speaking of the Reds, former Hiroshima outfielder-1st baseman Timo Perez had signed with the Reds in the off-season, but I can't find his name anywhere. He won a ring last year with the ChiSox, but I don't know where he is now. Does anyone know if Perez is playing in Mexico or somewhere else this season?"

Timo Perez was signed to a minor-league contract by the Reds in February 2006. That contract however didn't include a invitation to major league camp, so he will probably start out at AAA Louisville. The AAA season starts on April 6th.
Re: Andy Abad/Timo Perez/Julio Franco
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Apr 5, 2006 5:24 PM ]

Thanks for that info. I think Perez would be smart to come back to Japan to finish his career. He speaks a little Japanese and played with the Carp for a number of years so he would be a good fit for someone.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.