Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ozzie Guillen Calls Japanese WBC Team Pathetic

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ozzie Guillen Calls Japanese WBC Team Pathetic
As usual, Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has once open his mouth and inserted his foot in it with his latest comment that Japanese baseball is pathetic.

Gullen went onto say: "Now the Japanese people think they're good, Nah they're arent that good. Sorry. The Classic win was by the team that prepared best. Japan and Cuba were better prepared than anyone else. They have more time to practice. The team was together a long time, and the Cuban team knew they were going to play in the World Classic. But those two teams , they're not that good. They have maybe a couple players who are OK, but they play 162 games at this level, they might win 20 games."

Guillen continued to say: "They think they're good. They're great, play good baseball, fundamental baseball. They play great for one week, two weeks. But if they come over here, we'll kick there [butt]. They play 162 games here in any division, they'll finish last. I don't want to Fidel Castro to get cocky. They're not that good."

First off, would someone control Guillen's ego. It's way out of mind, watch out Joe Morgan this guy has your spot now.

Second, Ozzie if you're so good, then have you denied the challenge put by Bobby Valentine to play the NPB champion: Chiba Lotte Marines? If you want to talk, then play a matchup against Chiba or keep your big ego shut.

Third, Japan had as much time to prepare they're team for the WBC as any country did. They put together a good team, that happened to better than any other, and won when it counted, Ozzie. Also, Ozzie where were you when it was unsure Cuba wouldn't play in the WBC? On Cloud Nine or something?

Plus, last time I checked I think Cuban National Team beat the Baltimore Orioles just not close but by a big margin, and in there other game with the Orioles played good baseball. So right there, Ozzie your wrong in saying Cuba can't compete with MLB. They have already proved they can.

Finally, Ozzie how do we know they'll finish last? Are you somekind of psychic, or the all-knowing being on baseball. Like I said, play the Chiba Lotte Marines in a best of 7 game series, or keep your mouth shut until then.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.flipside11apr11,0,2547860.story?coll=bal-sports-featured

Comments
Re: Ozzie Guillen Calls Japanese WBC Team Pathetic
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:58 AM ]

Hello,

Don't get too upset over Guillen. He always says really stupid things ... almost as bad as Terrell Owens in Football.

20 games and last place is just plain stupid.

Oh, yeah, I remember during one game Joe Morgan said that Ichiro was nothing special. Uggghhh.

However, on the local radio station that I listen to here in California - they mentioned that the most effective hitter in the Yankee lineup is Matsui. Interesting - there still is hope

[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:27 AM ]

Guillen is just jealous. I cant even understand what he says.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:04 PM | CLM Fan ]

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some racist feelings within him. He probably hates both Japan and Cuba.

He seems bipolar, because he said Iguchi was the MVP of the White Sox last year, and now he's being a prick to him. Told him to "go back home" if he's not happy being benched. Being from IL, the White Sox were my team last year. I rooted for them from the start, but I can't do it after reading these comments. I live in Seattle now and I'm a Mariner guy. I'll just root for Jim Thome and Tadahito Iguchi. Everyone else over there can rot.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:27 PM ]

Did Guillen really say that to Iguchi?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 1:15 AM ]

"Did Guillen really say that to Iguchi?"

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me with Ozzie. Nothing anymore susprises me with Ozzie.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:17 AM | CLM Fan ]

Guillen benched Iguchi for a game after Tadahito hit well to start the season. Iguchi was asked about it later and said, "No comment."

Iguchi was benched a lot last season, because Guillen was concerned about the difference in games between the US and Japan. Tadahito actually said it annoyed him to be treated like that. I can see where he's coming from. With the way Japanese guys train, I'm sure their endurance is a lot better than that of American players.

So anyway, Guillen heard about the "No comment." and went off and said something like, "If any of my players don't like being benched, then tough luck. I'm the manager and what I say goes. If Iguchi doesn't like it, he can go back home."

Just a very poor choice of words. The whole "he doesn't speak English well" excuse doesn't work. He knows exactly what he's saying. Anyway, the reasoning was that the Indians pitcher who the Sox were facing that night has given up a .170 or so average to Iguchi last year. I think it's BS to look into stats that much, especially when it's a guy who had his first major league season last year.

Forget Guillen. Last year's success had very little to do with his managerial skills, unlike with Bobby Valentine and the Chiba Lotte Marines. Gotta love a manager like Guillen talking about how he's going to win games with small ball, and almost all their starters hit over 15 homers.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:36 AM ]

Uhh...you're right about a lot of things, but not about your comments on how the White Sox "don't play smallball." They do, and they win on smallball. So what if most of their lineup hits over 15 runs? It's all spread out as 15-25 homeruns down the lineup, as opposed to other MLB teams that rely on a 40 run hitter or two to boost the team. If you watched the White Sox at all last year, most of their games were won on the principles of smallball, in a lot of one-run games.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:11 AM | CLM Fan ]

The Sox won on a lot of luck, a weak division, some bad calls, clutch hitting from Crede, etc. Last time I checked, the Sox had two above average power hitters last year in Dye and Konerko. If YOU watched any of the games, you'd know how many times that lineup couldn't buy a hit and would pray for a three run homer for many of the games they played.

Real small ball was played by the 98 Baystars and the 05 Marines. Those are teams that would hit nothing but base hits with 2 outs. The Sox were never that kind of team, and I saw 95% of their games. How many White Sox players hit .300? I rest my case. Great pitching is not small ball.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:33 AM ]

"How many White Sox players hit .300?"

None.

Being able to hit or not being able to hit doesn't negate the possibility of small ball. Yeah, Konerko and Dye hit some big ones, but the basis of their play was moving the runner over. I can't count how many times they bunted and sacrificed in the post-season. I just don't see how anybody, Japanophile or not, can deny the fact that the Sox played small ball last season. This isn't a personal attack or slam or anything like that. I'm not saying the White Sox are some great team that exists as the epitome of smallball--but they played it, and won on it.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:12 AM ]

Sorry for the double post--but in regards to the original topic:

I think Ozzie is pretty much just bitter that the Venezuelan team had such a poor showing, and was ousted by the Cubans--thus the heat he's showing them. Pretty stupid comments made by him, but he's made plenty. Interestingly enough, he called Iguchi his best player last season.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:44 PM | CLM Fan ]

Only guy who played small ball on that team was Iguchi, and that's because he was forced to play like he was in high school again.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:56 PM | CLM Fan ]

By the way, refrain from name calling on these forums. I know what a Japanophile is, and it's a negative term. It's especially stupid that you used it against me, since I was born and raised in Tokyo. I think you'd be surprised about how many of us posters are actually Japanese or of Japanese descent and perfectly fluent.
[ Author: toramimi | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 12:05 AM | HT Fan ]

> By the way, refrain from name calling on these
> forums. I know what a Japanophile is, and it's a
> negative term.

I can't believe that after all this time lurking it's this post that has lured me out...
In defence of the original poster 'Japanophile' is not necessarily a negative term. It's a rather clumsy neologism but, to extrapolate from 'anglophile', it means a person who admires Japan or the Japanese, without any particular negative (for instance sycophantic) overtones. I count myself as one.
btw, I'm a tad peeved that I couldn't just use my real name because it only has 5 letters in it!
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:11 AM | CLM Fan ]

Japanese people and a lot of Americans look at Japanophiles in a negative light. I don't know anyone, other than a Japanophile, who looks at that term as something not negative.
[ Author: toramimi | Posted: Apr 18, 2006 10:35 PM | HT Fan ]

Ouch. Luckily most of the people I've met here seem to find it cute or charming that I love Japanese culture both traditional and pop. Maybe they're just being polite. On the other hand one of the nihonjin I respect the most is a bit of a yankophile and I don't hold it against him.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 12:32 PM ]

There you go again.....
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 5:20 PM ]

Iguchi Could of at least hit 3-5 more homers but Guillen took alot of atbats away from Iguchi becuase of the whole small ball thing.
[ Author: Guest: j in la | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:07 PM ]

Wow, I actually liked ozzie. He lost a fan in me if what he said was true. And all this from an ex player I admired who in his 16 year mlb career never batted over .300 once and had a total of 28 homers (1.75 homers per year).

A lot of people are bitter about Japan winning over here in the US. You hear managers & coaches brush off the WBC in their interviews and radio shows. Talking about how "these teams" wouldn't be able to compete in a 162 game season.

Roger Clemens recently spout out derrogatory remarks about Koreans & Japanese. But it seemed to be "okay" with the general public who called in to a national sports radio show. Whats so stupid about these talk shows is that the host is trying to get feedback from the public if Roger's statements were derragatory or not, people would call in and say "I don't see any problem with it" , so the consensus becomes "its no big deal"....next topic. The sad thing is that the majority, if not all, of the callers sounded caucasian. Same attitude for other comments toward Japanese/asians made by Bill Parcels, Shaq, etc.

Ozzei is just another media puppet, like Joh Morgan. Gets a ring now he's on top of the world. Sadaharu Oh showed class through adversity and corruption and let the Baseball Gods decide the FIRST EVER WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC. Now thats a True World Champion.

[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:27 PM | HT Fan ]

I wonder what Guillen would have said if Team USA had won the tournament. It probably would have been along the lines of: "See? That proves the USA are the best in the world."
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:01 AM ]

What did Roger Clemens, that fine gentleman, have to say? I must have missed that in the papers?

Ozzie has a big mouth, that's all. He is no media puppet. Indeed, he is the opposite, a loose cannon.

A Japanophile is someone who is enamoured with Japanese society, history and lifestyle. There are many more Anglophiles than Japanophiles, however.

There is still an awful lot of venom in this thread. Wouldn't it be better to lighten up and enjoy the game. Spring is here, the cherry trees are blooming, the birds are chirping and the crack of the bat is in the air.

Anyway, congrats to the Team Japan for winning the tournament.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:52 AM ]

In paraphrase, Clemens said something like "I took my clothes to the drycleaners but I knew I was outta luck since all the Japanese and Koreans were out playing at the game [Semi-Finals of the WBC at Petco Park]."

I think the reason Clemens took less heat is because the way he worded it was more or less indirect, as opposed to Ozzie, who just went in all-out attack mode.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:15 AM | CLM Fan ]

Man, that Clemens comment is just straight up KKK material. Wouldn't expect any less from an ignorant good ol' boy like him. I bet he's super religious, too. Guess that "love thy neighbor" thing doesn't matter when your neighbor doesn't look like you.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 7:40 AM ]

I dont know what Clemens is talking about , Japanese dont work at dry cleaners. Shame on him.

But if u think about its just jealousy with Clemens And Guillen.I could care less about them , i was never a fan of either of them.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 2:53 PM ]

You are over the top again.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 2:58 PM ]

I recall something like "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
[ Author: The Great Oni | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 8:06 AM | HT Fan ]

If you want to call Clemens a racist, read this from ESPN.com, first (this is the excerpt from the article that was loosely paraphrased)and then decide.

[He felt fine after the World Baseball Classic and left the tournament impressed by the quality of the international teams -- and the devotion of the Japanese and South Korean fans.

Remembering back to a Japan-South Korea game in Anaheim, Calif., Clemens said he took clothes to a dry cleaners and was told he wouldn't get them back for nearly a week.

"They said, 'You've got no chance,' they told me," Clemens said. "I said, 'I'm going to get it tomorrow, right?' And then she goes, `No chance, we're going to the game.' So we couldn't get dry cleaning done out there, but I guess the neatest thing about them was there were about 50,000 of them at Anaheim Stadium, Korea and Japan.

"Even in Arizona, when we played Mexico there, it was so festive. It really makes you sit back and realize our game is played the right way in a number of different countries." ]

This was the only part of a larger Clemens' piece that referenced Koreans and Japanese
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 10:19 AM | CLM Fan ]

Ha. Thanks for the other quote. That makes a lot more sense.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 2:53 PM ]

Clemens is no saint to be sure. But there are alot of Korean dry cleaners in the US. It was a relatively cheap family operated business that was a speedier way to residency in the 70s and 80s. I have never seen a Japanese owned dry cleaner in the US, so that definately makes Clemens an ignoramous.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:52 PM ]

Yea excatly never in my life have i seen a Japanese work a dry cleaner.
[ Author: Guest: j in la | Posted: Apr 15, 2006 5:59 PM ]

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"????

I'm just telling it like I see it buddy. Just because my point of view might not be the same as yours, doesn't mean I am in the wrong for saying what I heard about Roger Clemens. I don't want my kids listening to that!

...and BTW, If you are american, please don't put those biblical words on me. As you know, they are a double edge sword and most Americans have lost the right to claim them. Have you heard of "live by the sword, die by the sword?"

If you wanna go biblical, we better do it in another forum because I will chew your head of about how hypocritical babylonians can be. ...uuhhh? wha??

BTW, thank God Team Japan won.

[ Author: Guest: j in la | Posted: Apr 15, 2006 6:28 PM ]

btw, did any of you actually hear the actual Roger Clemens interview? I would like to clarify that I did and if you heard it and still think its acceptable, you don't know what its like to be a minority in america. I highly doubt Roger even went to a dry cleaner, the team takes care of all that from the hotel. I will end it at this...it was a wrong choice of words and a very derogatory tone. What was worse is he told it like a joke...I'm ending the topic on Roger (because its not only Roger who is bitter. This will be the first and last time I say anything about the guy. He is famous and gifted pitcher but I'm really not interested in his style off the field.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 16, 2006 1:15 AM ]

I'm not yoiur buddy. Indeed, I find you to be an ignorant lout. You spout alot of venom....those are fighting words. But I promised Westbay-san I would not dirty up his site cleaning up after someone with an ilk like yours.

So let's review as gentlemen. First, your quote on Clemens, the heel he is aside, was incomplete and inaccurate. Obviously, it was clouded by your own hatred.

Second, the biblical quote was not from some right wing fundamentalist. It was used to illuminate the point that your hands are dirty too. You're misquoting of Clemens, the distortion of what he said and the spinning for your own objective to whip up a racist/discriminatory view that you wish to pin on Americans was detected. You were defrocked and exposed for what you are. As shallow, ignorant and probably a heck of alot more racist than Roger Clemens.

Third, I do not know your nationality for sure. I will say that many people have died in history in the name of a higher spirit, whether that spirit be Christian , Jewish, Moslem or Shinto in perception. So don't give me that live by the sword, die by the sword bull...go study your history and don't tell me you are decended from Tibetan monks, either.

Fourth,If you must thank the Lord for Japan winning in baseball, then you must have a very slim and narrow view of the world considering all the bigger problems we need his help with. I suspect you thought that was a dig....it didn't work.

Fifth, I feel sorry for your kids. The don't have the benefit of a father who is moderate, temperate and open minded. The comments you wrote here, in reaction to racism attributed, partly erroneously to Clemens, were just as bad. Those you directed toward Americans in general were more hateful. Don't teach your narrow-mindednedd and hate to your kids. Do the world a favor, OK?

Lastly, I was wondering if you were j in Los Angeles. If you are in Los Angeles,or America for that matter, you ought not be there. Your hatred is on your sleeve and you shouldn't subject yourself to such an miserable, hateful environment, surrounded but hating, blood thirsty, bible-thumping Americans.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 16, 2006 1:28 AM | HT Fan ]

Gee, lighten up guys. Even my intense stoushes with Christopher don't get as venomous as this.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 16, 2006 3:24 AM ]

I'm done.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.