Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Taguchi Turns the Series

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Taguchi Turns the Series
Wow! What a series turning blast from Taguchi.

He is on the front page of ESPN and mlb.com right now. In the baseball city of St. Louis - he is the King. I think that he may have saved the Cardinals from a sweep. Just punish those Mets fans for their treatment of Matsui.

Also, there's this nice article about Taguchi on St. Louis Today.
Comments
Re: Taguchi Turns the Series
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 14, 2006 6:14 PM | HT Fan ]

Yes - an excellent write up.

But the journalists are still finding it hard to get the details right. In the game report on that website they have Taguchi coming from Japan's Central League. It's not hard to check these things.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 15, 2006 1:03 AM | SFT Fan ]

- But the journalists are still finding it hard to get the details right. In the game report on that website they have Taguchi coming from Japan's Central League. It's not hard to check these things.

Yes indeed, that is a major problem with the American sport's press, the failure to do any significant research, as last time I checked the Orix BlueWave were in the Pacific League. Though, there are some sportswriters out of Seattle who do a pretty good job and good research about baseball in Japan. But for the major part, it wouldn't hurt for sportswriters to do some research first, as for the most part, most articles and stories do little to no research.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 14, 2006 7:37 PM | SL Fan ]

Wow, what a home run! A real nice at bat, too, fighting Wagner for 8 pitches before hitting that beautiful home run. A defensive replacement, ha!
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 15, 2006 1:10 AM | SFT Fan ]

Yes indeed, Taguchi has become quite the player with St.Louis and has been a favorite of Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa. Every year, Taguchi has been a key part of the Cardinals team, due to injuries or by just being one of the Cardinals' most consistent players that shows up everyday and plays well.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Oct 29, 2006 2:16 PM | FSH Fan ]

It was great seeing him celebrate the World Series victory with his teammates. He's really proven himself to be a valuable asset to the team.

Congrats to the Cardinals on their Series win, their first since 1982.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 29, 2006 9:25 PM | SL Fan ]

It took a couple of years, but I think Taguchi is the only Japanese player who managed to maintain his level of performance when going from NPB to MLB. It's especially impressive, relatively speaking, because of his age.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 29, 2006 11:17 PM | HT Fan ]

Shinjo probably comes close. Mediocre in Japan; mediocre in the majors.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 30, 2006 4:40 AM | NIP Fan ]

This is going to sound worse than I intend it, but I think the only reason Taguchi maintained his level of performance is because he had a career .720 OPS before going across the ocean, and a career .730 OPS after.

In other words, he didn't have a superstar record to fail to live up to. He had a great glove and a not-terrible bat to begin with, and continues to have a great glove and a not-terrible bat. A lot of the Japanese star players who came over saw something like a 30-50% drop in isolated power (SLG-BA) their first year alone, but Taguchi simply didn't have that to lose in the first place.

I'll admit that I was cheering for Taguchi during the World Series just because the astounded looks on my friends' faces seeing him pinch-hit those home runs in the NLDS and NLCS was funnier than just about anything else I'd seen this year. Plus trying to translate article headlines like カージナルス世界一に王手!田口の神技バントに運の神様降臨 [Sankei Sports] was just too amusing as well. "Taguchi's divine bunting like the fortune of God descending"?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 11:10 AM | SL Fan ]

Yeah, that was my point. But even Shinjo suffered the expected drop off in performance even though he wasn't a slugger in Japan.

Haha, the ridiculous headline is made even funnier through translation.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 22, 2006 9:24 PM ]

The cry at Shea is, "Say it ain't So!" With all due respect to our good friend on these boards, Mr. Kranepool, it could not have happened to a nicer fan base. Mets fans are the most viscerally anti-Japanese I've ever come across.
[ Author: Guest: buymeabeer | Posted: Nov 24, 2006 1:37 PM ]

Ooooohhhh please, can we get off the plays on his name! No offense man, but it's like hearing Wham's Last Christmas for the n-teenth time in a supermarket. A few examples:
  • Dude, he is SOOOOOOO Taguchi (yes, we know)
  • He's SO good (yes, we know)
  • He came from Japan SO he could help us (actually, it was the money)
And the list goes on and on.

Being a Cardinal fan, I love him to death. He plays his heart out whenever he's on the field, and he's even taller than David Eckstein. Tons of stories circulate about him in Cardinal fan forums and everyone who meets him says he's the nicest guy in the world and always makes the time for autographs. I really hope he stays with the Cardinals.

Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you there, we've seen that it can mean torches and pitch forks in other threads.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 25, 2006 4:49 AM | SL Fan ]

Nah, it wasn't the money. Average Japanese players like Taguchi, Shinjo (though both are awesome defenders), and Saitoh took huge pay cuts and risks to go to the majors. They could've stayed home for equivalent of millions of dollars guaranteed. This fact actually makes guys like Taguchi, Shinjo, and Saitoh more likable.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.