Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kuwata to MLB

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kuwata to MLB
Boston is apparently intending to sign Kuwata as well as Matsuzaka! The report (Houston Chronicle) indicated he would be invited to Spring training. I knew that MLB was desperate for pitching, but not that desperate.
Comments
Re: Kuwata to MLB
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Dec 14, 2006 4:02 AM ]

Not to be too obvious or anything, but they did it so that Matsuzaka would have an easier time adjusting. Hope that helps you.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 14, 2006 8:15 AM | HAN Fan ]

How so? Matsuzaka and Kuwata have never played together and I am pretty certain that Kuwata's MLB experience is zero (though I am prepared to be corrected here). Red Sox already have Okajima for that purpose as well.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 14, 2006 12:15 PM ]

I think if the Red Sox really wanted someone to help Matsuzaka adjust, they should've gone with guys like Shigetoshi Hasegawa.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 14, 2006 6:05 PM ]

I miss Shiggy! Where is he? I hope RedSox sign him, too.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Dec 15, 2006 2:44 AM | NIP Fan ]

(I can't tell if you guys are joking or not.)

Shiggy retired after the 2005 season and was doing a whole bunch of stuff, including writing another book or two and being a commentator (forget what for, but he was in the press box at Safeco last year a few times), and a few weeks ago there were even some articles circulating saying that new Buffaloes manager, Terry Collins, a former manager of his in Anaheim, had approached him about being a special coach for Orix next year. He won't be playing again, but will undoubtedly have a lot of opportunities ahead of him because of his unique skill set.

Though, yes, Shiggy is four months younger than Kuwata, that doesn't really mean anything.
[ Author: Guest: cal baseball | Posted: Dec 14, 2006 6:39 PM ]

Back in 2001, I read somewhere that Ichiro was surprised that Shinjo, an average player in NPB, could sign with an MLB team. I feel the same way. I don't want to see players come over here just for the sake of being MLB players. Sure, they are living out their dream and returning to Japan as MLBers, but I'd rather see players coming over here with the intention to dominate MLB and stay here for a long, long time. Not to gain popularity for endorsements, TV shows, and nude modeling.

Having said that, if Kuwata at 38 years of age can make the big club and perform half decent in '07, more kudos to NPB.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 14, 2006 10:07 PM | HT Fan ]

What about the ones that want to do some learning and develop their baseball? What about the ones that, before they leave Japan, are already popular enough to have lucrative endorsements, appear on TV shows, and <speculation> be offered nude modeling gigs </speculation>, and could feed their egos just as well in NPB as MLB? The ones that take a pay cut to play baseball in a foreign land?
[ Author: Guest: cal baseball | Posted: Dec 16, 2006 3:01 PM ]

Iwamura signed with Tampa Bay today. Iwamura said his goal is not to just play in the Major Leagues, but to help the team win.

I'm in no position to demand who should be allowed to sign with MLB teams. If a team is going to pay a player to come over here then I guess that player is worthy. If they make the big club out of spring training on a Minor League contract, then they are more worthy. However, as a proponent for the success of Japanese players, I'm tired of seeing mediocre players come over giving a bad name to Japanese baseball. It may not be completely the player's fault as I'm sure most are doing their best. Unfortunately, many U.S. fans don't care and will be quick to point out how Japanese baseball sucks with every unsuccessful player from Japan.

In 2002 I heard first hand from Gene Clines in the Giants' clubhouse that Shinjo could have been a better hitter if he had given more effort and time in the tunnel everyday and listened to what the coaches had to say. Apparently, he was content with his level of play and making adjustments in his swing to suit MLB was not his priority.

I took a guest of mine, Yabu's friend, visiting from Japan to watch Yabu get rocked at the Oakland Coliseum. We had lunch with Yabu the next day. Very nice individual. I was surprised that was the last appearance of his MLB career. I know it is difficult to know who will be good and who will falter.

I posted my gripes here after reading a report from Rotowire.com which stated that the Pirates, who were trying to sign Masumi Kuwata, were signing him on the hopes that he would be able to finesse his way to a few victories until the league figures him out. Many American fans feel that a Japanese starting pitcher cannot succeed in the MLB, long term. I hope that will change this year.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 17, 2006 2:17 PM ]

There is no reason to sign Kuwata from a baseball standpoint. Moreover, one wonders what MLB's security people will do once they get wind of Kuwata's past associations with gangsters (or so it has been said anyway).

Boston has no need for him. For Pittsburgh, having Kuwata start for them is a way of getting the team's name mentioned in the sports dailies there because of the Giants connection.

I think Boston would be better off spending its time thinking about how to get Kosuke Fukudome (free agent after next season) or Nagisa Arakaki (wants to be posted after next season).
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 19, 2006 10:09 AM | HAN Fan ]

It seems that Kuwata will be going to the Pirates on a minor league contract. The logic of signing him still escapes me, especially at his age.
[ Author: Guest: Pittsburgh Fan | Posted: Dec 19, 2006 10:34 AM ]

Anyone know what Kuwata did in the minors in 2006, or have a link to Eastern League stats?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 19, 2006 10:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, I do.

Kuwata threw in 6 games in the Eastern League in 2006, finishing with no wins, 2 losses, 0 saves in 30 innings pitched. He gave up 34 hits, 1 home run, while walking 6 (0 HBP), striking out 8, and allowing 16 runs (all earned) for a 4.89 ERA.

Source: Shukan Baseball, Issue #57, 2006.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 19, 2006 6:29 PM | CLM Fan ]

Arakaki must think he's a lot better than he actually is.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 20, 2006 3:34 PM ]

While looking up the stats, I noticed Kuwata didn't have any for 1996. Just wondering, was he hurt? Or spend the whole year in the ni-gun?
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Dec 20, 2006 7:25 PM | TYS Fan ]

- ... I noticed Kuwata didn't have any for 1996.

Kuwata was injured for all of 1996 (and most of 1995).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.