Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Akinori Iwamura?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Akinori Iwamura?
What do people who know about Japanese baseball think of Iwamura? I can't find any posts regarding his signing with the Tampa Bay D-Rays and what people thought about it.

After the D-Rays won the bidding on him at something like $5.1M, I checked out his stats and read about his string of Gold Gloves, and I was surprised he went for so little. His offensive numbers suggest that he can really play, and that the D-Rays, a lousy team with no money, finally found a ballplayer in the prime of his career at a bargain-basement price ($12.8M for 3 years including the payoff to the Swallows). Am I missing something?
Comments
Re: Akinori Iwamura?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 28, 2007 12:29 PM ]

What I think you are missing is that the contracts of Japanese players are not commensurate with their talents. Matsuzaka's pay is below market IMO, but you could rationally argue that the huge posting fee has more than a little to do with it. MLB likes to act like they're taking big risks with Japanese players, and with the exception of the health of (more heavily used in Japan) pitchers, it's not nearly the risk they like to claim. Even so, Japanese players good enough to be suitable for posting have gotten raises from their Japanese salaries.

Jim Albright
Re: Akinori Iwamura?
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Feb 4, 2007 10:05 AM ]

As Iwamura played in Jingu Stadium, one of the smallest parks in Japanese ball, his power numbers are deceiving. Even cheap pop-ups go into the stand in Jingu.

I expect him to hit 10 to 15 home runs at best.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.