Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsuzaka Adjusting to the U.S.

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsuzaka Adjusting to the U.S.
Here is a news story about the adjustment Matsuzaka is making to life in the U.S. [Yahoo! Sports].
Comments
Re: Matsuzaka Adjusting to the U.S.
[ Author: Jo Nathan | Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:11 PM | SL Fan ]

Okay. Don't get me wrong. I love the Lions and Dice-K was the man last year. He did great in 2006. But if you look at 2005, 2004, 2003, and so on and so forth, you'll see he was average. I hate to say this, it's my opinion that if Dice-K has an average year in the MLB like he did with the Lions they are going to tear him up in the MLB. He doesn't throw hard, he just has that funky pitch that hitters can't hit. Once he gets exposed, it's light's out for him.

Just my opinion. Go Lions!
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Feb 3, 2007 3:36 AM | HAN Fan ]

Hmmm? I looked up the career numbers for three of the top young MLB pitchers at Baseball-Reference. Matzuzaka's stats rank up there with Johann Santana, Roy Oswalt, and Jake Peavy. Each of these players have different strengths and weaknesses. Just look up Daisuke's numbers in the "Player" section in this forum for comparison.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 3, 2007 10:01 AM | YBS Fan ]

- He doesn't throw hard, he just has that funky pitch that hitters can't hit. Once he gets exposed, it's light's out for him.

That sounds an awful lot like Dan Owen's tragedy of an article "The Asian Invasion" denouncing Matsuzaka without ever seeing him pitch. Matsuzaka throws 6 different pitches, none of which are the gyroball. Please see this thread for more details.

For further reading, this thread points to an article about the gyroball and talks about how the myth that Matsuzaka throws it began. The article itself was recently picked up by Sports Illustrated if you want a more renown primary source.
[ Author: Jo Nathan | Posted: Feb 4, 2007 2:41 PM | SL Fan ]

Like I said sir. I'm a Lion fan! I go to as many games as I can. But here are the facts. He doesn't throw hard, and when your curve ball ain't curving you need to throw heat. I don't see it going well for him. I hope he has a good career in the MLB, but my opinion is once they figure him out it's lights out for my boy Dice-K.

You can't compare him to Johann Santana, Roy Oswalt, etc., or anyone in the MLB because he's not a proven pitcher in the MLB. I know his numbers look good here in Japan, but it's like I said. We'll have to wait and see.

I hope I'm wrong. The term gyro pitch was dubbed by MLB players, not me. We will see.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 7, 2007 8:34 AM | HAN Fan ]

Obviously, Red Sox management disagrees with you. 100 million dollars is not chicken feed and they must feel there is something there. Matsuzaka has a wide range of pitches and you need to remember that there is more to pitching than throwing hard and having a good curve ball. If Matsuzaka doesn't succeed it will be other factors, not a lack of ability.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Mar 12, 2007 2:05 PM ]

Faith and money doesn't guarantee success. If he doesn't succeed, it will be because he was not good in the MLB, no other factors other than lack of ability. In MLB, it's a new ball game, as they say.

Matsuzaka got knocked around today, keeping some pitches high in the strike zone. It's early in spring training, so I wouldn't read anything into this. I expect he will be a fine pitcher in MLB. I wish the Mets got him.
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: Mar 14, 2007 7:45 PM ]

Gents. The only reason why they spent that much money on Dice-K and this is the only reason; they did it so the Yankees don't get him. Plain and simple.
[ Author: Jo Nathan | Posted: Mar 22, 2007 8:40 PM | SL Fan ]

Okay. I will say this much. I will do what they call "Eat Crow." Dice-K looked soooo good today against the Pirates! I have been an anti-Dice-K advocate, however maybe he'll turn my mind around. I will not count him out, but I'm not convinced. Let's see. I'll give him my vote after the All Star game. If he continues to kick butt like he did yesterday, then I will say these words before I talk about him, "Dice-K, you are the man!" and continue, "Go Lions!"
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Mar 23, 2007 9:24 PM ]

Both the Red Sox and Yankee fans have been looking for the positives on the pitchers they signed. They are keeping their fingers crossed that they will lead the team to greatness.

Boston follows Dice-K like he is the only news in town. The New York readers keep looking for the world from Torre that their NPB pitcher is filled with greatness. Plus, they spent less.

It could happen, these two guys start against each other. Then watch the coverage, then see who is better.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 8, 2007 1:02 AM ]

Meantime, Matsuzaka had an impressive MLB start, fanning 10. He's adjusted just fine.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.