Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Iwamura Great Start

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Iwamura Great Start
I am surprised that I haven't found anything in this forum about Akinori Iwamura's great start for Tampa Bay. Through four games in 2007, the third baseman has seven runs and eight hits in 13 at bats for a .615 batting average. The former Yakult Swallow has a .706 on base percentage and .923 slugging as well as perfect fielding.

I realize it is early in the season, but what a impressive debut.
Comments
Re: Iwamura Great Start
[ Author: Sole_SL | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 3:50 AM | SL Fan ]

Iwamura has been performing well, though I am curious to see if he can maintain a high OBP once pitching in the division figures him out.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 9:53 AM | CLM Fan ]

What about the most impressive stat of all? Zero strike outs! I watched his at bats on MLB.tv earlier. He looks like a brand new player. His plate discipline is something else. He must've worked really hard in spring training or just reads American pitching better. I thought he would strike out like Ralph Bryant, but he's laying off pitches and fouling balls off. Very impressive. I'm definitely going to see the Rays at SafeCo this year. I may also get to see Daisuke!
[ Author: Guest: akinori iwamura | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 4:31 PM ]

Iwamura is now my favorite player. He struck out 3 times, by the way bigmanzam.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 4:59 PM ]

Iwamura increased his hitting streak with a single today! And took another walk with a stolen base.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:55 PM ]

I've seen him play once (TV) and looked at some highlights. I think he's been impressive so far. Tampa made a great signing.

He may get figured out a bit by the pitching, but generally good hitters find a way to get their hits. Of course he'll come down quite a bit with the numbers he has (.444 BA, .559 OBP ), but he's going to get hits. No errors early on either.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 13, 2007 3:58 PM ]

Iwamura, again 1 for 3 and a walk. Hitting streak continues.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Apr 13, 2007 9:05 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I mentioned before (as a guest, whoops) that he's been error free. Just wondering what kind of fielder he was considered in Japan? His fielding stats on the site here look pretty good.
[ Author: HaruSaru | Posted: Apr 14, 2007 7:27 AM | HC Fan ]

Not only is he error free so far, but he has made some pretty good plays as well, with a couple of diving catches down the line.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.