Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Igawa Optioned To A Tampa

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Igawa Optioned To A Tampa
The Yankees optioned pitcher Kei Igawa [Rotoworld] to A Tampa.

Right now it doesn't bode well for Igawa, starting with the Clemens signing, it looks like he will spend at least 2007 as a reliever when he returns as Clemens, Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, and Hughes figure to fill out the Yankees' starting five.

Igawa went 2-1 with a 7.63 ERA in 6 games/5 starts so far with the Yankees.
Comments
Re: Igawa Optioned To A Tampa
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 8, 2007 9:21 AM | HT Fan ]

Indeed it looks bad for the ex-Tiger. After his last bad outing, Igawa gave poor answers at the post-game press conference. Instead of owning up to his poor control, he claimed that he was pleased with his pitching except for a few hits given up here or there (I'm not quoting, just commenting from memory). Filip Bondy of the New York Daily News really raked him over the coals for that, and the stubborn attitude probably did not win him any bonus points with Torre-kantoku.

The Yankees spent $46 million on Igawa (2-1 in 5 starts, 8 homers and 14 walks given up in 30 2-3 innings, 7.63 ERA - OUCH!), so just for financial reasons you can bet he will be back for a few major league starts before the season is over.

I for one have been mystified at his poor transition from NPB to MLB. And I really thought Ron Guidry would have been the ideal coach for him, too, having a similar pitching style. As a big Igawa fan I hope he finds his stuff down in Tampa and returns to the Bronx for some success in 2007.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 8, 2007 9:28 AM ]

I was hoping he would do good, but Igawa clearly was not MLB ready. Maybe he should have stayed in Japan.

What I notice is that Japanese starting pitchers have a hard time in the MLB. Matsuzaka is also looking like another bust with his very high ERA.

Japanese position players and relief pitchers are the ones who succeed.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 9, 2007 2:01 AM | SFT Fan ]

I wouldn't call Matsuzaka a bust just yet. He still hasn't found a routine in-between starts. Also, you have to factor in the new language, culture, and the overall differences that Matsuzaka has to overcome.

It's still way too early to tell if either Matsuzaka or Igawa are busts. The Red Sox and Yankees made long-term commitments to these players, and the Red Sox in particular want to protect the massive investment they made on Matsuzaka. I think the best course of action for these pitchers is to let them be themselves.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 9, 2007 11:07 AM ]

I am still curious why Kei-Kun was sent down to Single-A, and not Triple-A?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 9, 2007 3:23 PM ]

He'll just get lit up like a X'mas tree in AAA. The hitters in AAA are either very advanced prospects or former Major Leaguers who are trying to get another crack in the Big Leagues.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 9, 2007 8:54 PM | HT Fan ]

It's not about the level of minor league. The Yankees have a large complex at Tampa (Legends Field), with the field itself built to the exact proportions of Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. Tampa is where any of their struggling pitchers go, specifically to work in detail with coach Nardi Contreras.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 20, 2007 1:23 PM | HT Fan ]

Here's an update on Kei Igawa, from the website barebaseball.com:
Rookie pitcher Kei Igawa allowed two unearned runs in four innings in his first start for the New York Yankees Class-A Tampa affiliate on Saturday. It was the first action for Igawa since May 4, three days before he was sent to the minors to work on his control and pitching mechanics. The Japanese rookie left-hander threw 68 pitches, allowing three hits and a walk with two strikeouts.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 21, 2007 10:27 AM | SFT Fan ]

Igawa might be back earlier than people think. The Yankees, as of their game tonight against the Mets, are now on their 11th different starting pitcher this season (they lost Darrell Rasner to a fractured finger on his pitching hand).

Clemens will be ready by June, but by then, who knows how many starters the Yankees will have gone through? And even then, Phil Hughes might not be back, since hamstring injuries are a major hurdle for some odd reason here in the States, and I doubt that the Yankees want to run other prospects out there out of fear that they'll mess their heads up if they get smacked around.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 21, 2007 1:24 PM | SFT Fan ]

- ... and I doubt that the Yankees want to run other prospects out there out of fear that they'll mess their heads up if they get smacked around.

Since when has that made a difference this year for the Yankees? They've already run out 5 rookies this year (Igawa, DeSalvo, Clippard, Hughes, and Wright), and Karstens and Rasner have had little major league service time.

Right now, the Yankees are in big trouble and are panicking as we speak. They're currently 19-23 (10 games behind Boston). Sadly to say Clemens and Igawa aren't going to make any difference. It would be beneficial to the Yankees to keep Igawa with Tampa as long as it's needed, until the new pitching delivery is perfected and all the kinks are fixed. With the Yankees currently falling like a rock, there's no reason to rush Igawa back to the Bronx. It's not like it will make any difference to the Yankees' sinking fortunes.

Plus, Hughes' rehab has gone very smooth, and he will probably only be out to June-July. His MRI showed no major damage also. Furthermore, even if Igawa does return soon, it's likely his longterm duty will be out of long or middle relief. He'll only get a few starts if re-called soon before giving away to Clemens. It's highly unlikely Igawa will be back very soon.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 21, 2007 7:24 PM | HT Fan ]

Well, here's the official word on Kei-san's Bronx ticket, which apparently will not be punched any time soon. This is from this morning's New York Times:
IGAWA RETURN ISN'T IMMINENT

Kei Igawa will not be considered for Friday's start against the Los Angeles Angels after all. Though Igawa allowed no earned runs over four innings for Class A Tampa on Saturday, he is still in the early stages of learning a new delivery.

"He's been doing it one way for 20 years," said Nardi Contreras, the minor league pitching coordinator, who has worked closely with Igawa since Igawa was demoted May 7.

"It's not going to change in nine days," Contreras said. "But he's trying real hard, which is wonderful. Every day, he seems to come along real well."
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: May 27, 2007 1:09 AM ]

Does anyone find it odd that a pretty good pitcher in Japan has to develop an entirely new delivery after getting whacked around a few times early in the season in a new league?

Usually, such steps are taken in very young, minor league pitchers who struggle. Vets make adjustments, might drop the arm angle, but a whole new delivery? Seems drastic.
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: May 27, 2007 10:11 AM ]

From what I have heard, the ball is too slippery and the mound is too stiff for the pitchers from Japan. The Japanese pitchers throw balls by using the power of legs and waist mainly. So, the stiff mound will affect their pitching actions, control, and movement.

But American pitchers throw balls by using their arm mainly. So they will not be affected by the mound. But they will suffer operations like Tommy John Surgery more easy due to over use of their arm.

Different ball and mound - does this sound right or like a bunch of BS?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 28, 2007 2:56 AM | CLM Fan ]

I've got to disagree here. To me it seems like American pitchers generally use a way better pitching form that utilizes the lower body to get velocity. Japanese pitchers a lot of the time have funky deliveries that kill a lot of the momentum your body creates in a windup, and hence puts more stress on the arm. A good example of this is Hisashi Iwakuma's old pitching form. As for the American side, just look at Roger Clemens. I'd say that a lot of American pitchers try to emulate his style and he is very lower body.

I'm very interested in seeing this new Igawa delivery and whether he can do anything with it.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 30, 2007 12:35 AM | HT Fan ]

I hope whatever Kei-sama can do with arms, legs, teeth, etc. to get the ball over the plate comes along soon. This morning the New York Yankees are 13.5 behind the Boston Akai-Kutsushita, and latest pitching sacrifice Matt DeSalvo is on his way back to AAA.

But I have to agree with an earlier posting here, Igawa and Clemens are not going to make any difference to the Yankees this season. This is a team with a pitching staff in wholesale disarray, and it is beginning to look like a situation that Steinbrenner-kamisama has often addressed with trades, shake-ups and the hiring of new kantoku. Zannen desu ne.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: May 30, 2007 2:44 PM ]

Sounds like a current season version of the old artificial turf excuse. There's rosin/chalk for a slippery ball, and one can always spike up the dirt on the mound.

Great pitchers of any nationality pitch with the help of their legs, not just their arms.

And the Yankees - sic semper tyrannus.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 31, 2007 1:15 AM | CLM Fan ]

When Japan didn't have a good outing at the Athens Olympics, there was an excuse going around that they didn't have enough sticky rice. Maybe the Japanese starters need some high quality sticky rice?
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 31, 2007 3:34 AM | HT Fan ]

Here's the latest on Kei Igawa, from this morning's (May 30) New York Times:
The left-hander Kei Igawa made his first start for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Tuesday as he tries to reinvent his delivery. Facing Toledo, Igawa threw 97 pitches over five innings, allowing four runs and eight hits, with a walk and six strikeouts.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.