Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Saito Continues to Dazzle in LA

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Saito Continues to Dazzle in LA
I don't know why, but the American media seems to be missing one of the greatest closers in American MLB history: Takashi Saito.

He replaced the LA Dodgers' legend, Eric Gagne, who was known as "Game Over."

Saito has not blown a save so far this year. Since coming to the US, he's converted 39 out of 41 saves. A lot of media said the American batters would start figuring him out and then he'd be useless, but they're wrong so far - he's playing better over here than he did in Japan.

He's a real joy to watch, very clever, intelligent, and enthusiastic. We know our team is in good hands if they can get the ball to him in the 9th inning.

I know in Japan you mostly see highlights from the Mariners and Red Sox, but look for Saito highlights if you can.

Also, did you know you can vote for the USA "All-Star" game? The ballot is here.

I don't know whether you can vote for pitchers, but you could vote for Ichiro. Also, please consider voting for Russell Martin as NL catcher. I won't waste your time talking about him since he's not Japanese, but if you look him up online, you'll see why he deserves it. Saito likes him a lot.

Arigato!
Comments
Re: Saito Continues to Dazzle in LA
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 31, 2007 8:49 AM ]

Two questions/comments:
  1. Saito is one of the greatest closers in American MLB history? Ryan Howard must be one of the greatest sluggers in American MLB history as well.
  2. Eric Gagne is a legend in LA? A legend is someone who is long retired, like Sandy Koufax.
By the way, pitchers are chosen by Tony La Russa in the All-Star game.
Re: Saito Continues to Dazzle in LA
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: May 31, 2007 9:49 AM ]

Big time Dodger fan here!

Yes, Gagne is a legend in LA. Sure, he's not a long-retired vet, but when he was playing, in his prime, he had no equal, and his consecutive save streak was amazing.

That said, Saito is downright filthy. I feel very secure when he comes out for the ninth, and he has made some of the best pitches I've ever seen in my life. The reason he isn't covered that well and doesn't make headlines is pretty obvious - he plays on the west coast. ESPN is pretty much just a second YES network, and gives very little credit or acknowledgment to anything west of Detroit.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.