Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Dice-K Goes for Win #8

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Dice-K Goes for Win #8
In the series finale tonight between the Boston Red Sox and Cleveland Indians, the Red Sox will send 7-2 Daisuke Matsuzaka to the mound to face 5-1 Paul Byrd.

Matsuzaka only went 5 innings and had an all-around tough outing while battling a case of the stomach flu last week against the Texas Rangers. Dice-K has been less than stellar at Fenway Park this year, with a 3-1 record and an ERA of 5.00.

Should Matsuzaka win tonight, he will become the 3rd pitcher in Major League Baseball to notch his 8th victory of the season, joining teammate Josh Beckett and John Lackey of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Comments
Re: Dice-K Goes for Win #8
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 31, 2007 12:10 PM | SFT Fan ]

Matsuzaka did not have control of his fastball (and most of his pitches, for that matter) tonight, and had a tough time with the Cleveland Indians lineup. He only went 5 2/3 innings, giving up 6 earned runs and 12 of Cleveland's season-high 18 hits. Matsuzaka falls to 7-3, his ERA balloons to 4.83, and has his 6-game winning streak is snapped.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:43 AM ]

NipponHam, I watched the game on TV. The Indians are a decent club. He did have some problems. he had strikes on hitters only to give up what I thought were bad pitch selections, which became hits. The night before, Beckett pitched one way to certain hitters and was successful. Dice-K pitched different with inside and low opposite box pitches and was not successful. I know of two pitchers who don't have the same pitches, but batters have weaknesses with certain strike zones.

Again, I was surprised at some of the pitch selections which let the batters off the hook.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Jun 6, 2007 11:00 PM ]

In last night's game against Oakland, the Red Sox could have chased Dinardo out in the first inning, but didn't do it. I thought to myself, is Dice-K going to stand alone in this game? Sure enough, they lost 2-0. Dice-K pitched alright except for the hits he gave up.

Again, I must be missing something in the logic of his pitch choice. Two strikes on Swisher - the outfield is pulled to right-shift - he throws an outside pitch which goes down the left field line. Manny's about 50' from it - bango, 2 out hit, 2 out run scored. That's all they needed. I thought he would pitch Swisher inside, with a man on second base. The shift is on for right side fielding. Rough game to lose.

Is Francoia calling the pitches? Is Dice-K and Virtak at a consensus on what pitches shoud be thrown? Sometimes the catcher would setup inside, and the pitch is outside. In NPB, did Dice-K have control over what he wanted to throw?
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jun 8, 2007 2:51 PM ]

Or, are the hitters adjusting?
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Jun 9, 2007 3:52 AM ]

EK, you're probably right, the batters adjust, especially if the pitcher was throwing an index of his pitches; i.e. first pitch fastball low, second pitch change up, third pitch high fast ball, etc. It's like my grandson figuring out a Pac-Man game.

I still think it's Franconia. How does a pitcher two days later almost no-hit the same team? Watching Schilling against the same batters Dice-K faced, Schilling was pitching them low and in.

I know fastball pitchers will give up hits. I saw Nolan Ryan once give up 11 hits and walk 5, but struck out 14 and won the game 2-0. This was over 9 innings.

I guess I am looking for Dice-K's gyroball, unless he thought it would be useless after Wakefield pitching.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Jun 9, 2007 11:47 AM | SFT Fan ]

Francona is not calling the game. Jason Varitek prepares extensively for every team, and he has stacks upon stacks of data for every batter on every team. Varitek knows what pitches to call in what situation, and Dice-K is more or less calling his own game. I think that if Dice-K starts to trust Varitek more, then he'll have more performances like he did against the Tigers in May.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.