Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

All-Star Ichiro Awsom as Usual!

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
All-Star Ichiro Awsom as Usual!
Ichiro Suzuki hit the first inside-the-park home run in All-Star Game history to give the AL a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning. He went 3 for 3.
Comments
Re: All-Star Ichiro Awsome as Usual!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 11, 2007 2:18 PM ]

And he was named the All-Star MVP. 3 for 3 with the aforementioned inside-the-park home run.
Re: All-Star Ichiro Awsom as Usual!
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 11, 2007 3:12 PM | HT Fan ]

This was well beyond usual - it was a night to etch in one's baseball memory bank like the final game of the 1977 World Series where Reggie invoked the Gods. Not only did Ichiro give a batting clinic for the world to enjoy, he capped off a joyous day in which we learned he would stay in Seattle for 5 more years (at US$ 100 million!) with a display of why he is worth every penny. Whenever one gets down about the problems and greed of baseball these days, all you have to do is look at this incredibly gifted and consummate professional, and find the joy of the game all over again.

Banzai Ichiro!
Re: All-Star Ichiro Awsom as Usual!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jul 12, 2007 2:41 AM | NIP Fan ]

Hold on. There hasn't been an official re-signing of Ichiro yet, so please don't jump the gun on that. I have no doubt that the management will work something out with him, especially now that Mike Hargrove has resigned and John MacLaren is at the helm of the Mariners, but it's not a done deal yet. The good news is that it sounds like he'll be sticking around one way or the other, though.

But yes, the inside-the-park home run was pretty exciting, and especially ironic to me that it was fielded by former Mariners icon Ken Griffey Jr. Even more amusing was that the announcers were pretty preoccupied with watching Eric Byrnes throw his dog into McCovey's Cove to fetch a baseball at the time. Fun stuff all around.
Re: All-Star Ichiro Awesome as Usual!
[ Author: Chiroman | Posted: Jul 12, 2007 11:49 AM ]

Ichiro Rocks!

Last night's All-Star game was all Ichiro. Ichiro is still the top five players in the world. Ichiro is a freak with the bat.

He will retire and enter the Hall of Fame as a Mariner.
[ Author: Tokyo Sox | Posted: Jul 12, 2007 1:53 PM | TYS Fan ]

Deanna's right! Don't celebrate the contract renewal just yet, it hasn't actually gone through. My friend congratulated me when the Red Sox were winning in the 8th over the Yanks in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and that didn't turn out so hot. I'd love to see it go through, for the M's to continue the turnaround, and for Ichiro to continue his long and successful career there. He deserves it and so does that city (so don't jinx it!).

And, I've gotta agree with Chiroman - he is a freak with the bat. No one else in the the league, or maybe on the planet, has that kind of bat control. His second hit last night wasn't so much a swing, it was more like a tennis shot. I think he knew if he had really swung, he was going to fly out to left. So he got the fat part of the bat on the ball, and lobbed it into left. It was a tennis lob shot. Who else does that?
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 15, 2007 8:23 PM | HT Fan ]

The contract, of course, was signed on Friday for about $90 million. The reason I felt secure mentioning it in my first post was that the sources were all very strong and public - all of the local Seattle TV news stations reported on Ichiro's verbal agreement, as did the Seattle Times on their website. So it was a safe call on that play.
[ Author: Tokyo Sox | Posted: Jul 16, 2007 4:27 PM | TYS Fan ]

- The contract, of course, was signed on Friday for about $90 million. [...] So it was a safe call on that play.

I don't know. Sounds to me like you cost him $10 million! I keeeed, I keeeed.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 16, 2007 11:13 PM | SL Fan ]

Great news for Seattle. Seems like quite a hometown discount. Wonder how much he would've fetched in the open market?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.