Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Igawa Motors On!

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Igawa Motors On!
No stumbling for Kei Igawa tonight in the Bronx. He pitched five complete innings against the Toronto Blue Jays, departing with a lead of 4 - 3 (the final score was Yankees 6, Blue Jays 4). Igawa gave up 3 earned runs on 7 hits, walked four, and struck out seven (including Frank Thomas, twice), lowering his ERA to 6.97. His delivery was often too deliberate (with one balk) and pitching coach Ron Guidry visited the mound twice to counsel Igawa-san. But overall he made a good impression tonight.

Yoku ganbarimashita, Iron Nerves!
Comments
Re: Igawa Motors On!
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 17, 2007 8:32 PM | HT Fan ]

In this morning's (July 17) New York Daily News ("With Iggy, Torre finds some good, some not"), Peter Botte refers to Kei Igawa's "five painful yet teasing innings... [he] struck out a career-high seven and left with a 4-3 lead, but the Japanese lefty needed at least 20 pitches to navigate each of his five innings for a whopping total of 115."

"If he proved one thing tonight it was when he's in a better rhythm, he's better at locating," [manager Joe] Torre said. "His stuff is good ... but when the game speeds up is when he gets in trouble."

"Every inning I had runners on base and never had a clean three-out inning," Igawa said through an interpreter. "That is why I am not satisfied."

Kei Igawa will get at least one more start on Saturday (July 21) before phenom Phil Hughes returns from his injury rehabilitation to challenge for the Yankees' No. 5 slot.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Jul 17, 2007 10:41 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Sorry for posting the same info on Igawa's start Sara. We must have posted at close to the same time.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 18, 2007 4:41 AM | HT Fan ]

No problem, Brimsek - my apologies on the same score. I'm happy to know there are more Igawa fans out there, too. I liked him so much when he was a Hanshin Tiger, and though sad to see him leave Koshien, was excited to see him turn up with the Yankees. I really hope he manages to turn things around and show the Bronx fans what he's capable of. Thus far he's looked a bit lost and I think he's not adapting well to the USA in general. But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:29 AM | HNHF Fan ]

I think you're right on about his adjustment to the USA, but that's also why I think he needs to be given time. I think the stint in the minors helped him - I'd rather he stay up now. Although as you pointed out in your other post, Hughes is probably on his way. Who knows?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 21, 2007 4:29 AM | SFT Fan ]

According to the New York Times, Hughes will replace Igawa in the rotation when he returns from the DL.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 21, 2007 1:52 PM | HT Fan ]

Thanks for spotting that item, JBroks. Igawa will pitch the second game of tomorrow's double-header against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (around 4 or 4:30 p.m. EDT). Clearly he needs to conquer whatever demons have been bedeviling his game, to prove that he deserves to stay in the starting rotation. But it may be too late to avoid assignment to the bullpen, a trip back to the minors, or even a trade. Tonight's Yankee game was a total pitching collapse (they lost 14 - 4) and it's obviously time for some major shake-up.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 22, 2007 1:33 AM | CLM Fan ]

I'll tell you what Igawa's problem is. It's day games. Every single time I see him start, it's a day game with those sunglasses he wears. The fact that he's been so notoriously bad in Japan with day games probably didn't help him any. Plus, we all know how much of a spaz Igawa is. His psyche could barely take the pressure in Nishinomiya, so being a Yankee was just disaster waiting to happen. I hope he gets traded to a smaller market team with lots of night games.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 23, 2007 6:23 PM | HT Fan ]

- Plus, we all know how much of a spaz Igawa is. His psyche could barely take the pressure in Nishinomiya.

Sounds like a cue for a comment about "iron nerves."
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:13 PM | HT Fan ]

With friends we have often made fun of that "Iron Nerves" title, which sounds too close to "I am nervous." But I'm not sure that Igawa's nerves are really the issue here; and I think many people find the word "spaz" offensive, so perhaps we can keep the discussion on a higher level.

In my own humble opinion I think Igawa's problems are very much the result of difficulties in cultural and baseball adaptation. As stated in many places in this website, there are plenty of ball players who have been a success in one country and a bust in another. Perhaps Igawa will not make the cut, but his story in the USA is not over yet.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Jul 27, 2007 7:06 AM | HNHF Fan ]

He has a good chance to gain some confidence tonight. Igawa is the starter against Kansas City - this is a team that is not on the same level talent wise as the Yankees (who have been suspect at times themselves this year). NY has taken the first 3 games of the current series and should Igawa do well it could be a boost for him.

PS - No offense at all to any KC fans. You've had some great teams in the past.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.