Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Igawa Surges Forth

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Igawa Surges Forth
Last night the New York Yankees website listed Matt DeSalvo as the opener for the first game of today's double-header against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, with Kei Igawa pitching the nightcap. But today the two switched places, and I could not follow the game in much detail.

Anyway, the first game is now just completed and Igawa seems to have done well enough to win - 5 complete innings pitched, giving up 7 hits and 2 earned runs (both on solo homers), 3 walks with 6 strikeouts, lowering his ERA to 6.67 - though Jose Vizcaino pitched the 6th inning and was given the victory. (I don't always understand how the victory is awarded in these cases - someone fill me in on how that's done in this particular situation.) He was followed on the mound by Kyle Farnsworth, Scott Proctor, and Mariano Rivera. Final score: Yankees 7, Devil Rays 3.

In a few hours there will be some postings about the game and assessments of Igawa's work on the New York Times and other New York city paper websites. I'll check those later and follow up.

Recently Igawa's been pitching at a glacially slow pace, with frequent circling off the mound, and I have no idea if this continued today. But surely Torre-kantoku will be interviewed about his impression of the game and we'll see what he has to say about Igawa's future pitching status for the New York Yankees.
Comments
Re: Igawa Surges Forth
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 22, 2007 9:04 AM | HT Fan ]

Here's a little more info about today's Yankees - Devil Rays game, from the New York Times website:

Igawa has made only one quality start this season, defined as a minimum of six innings with a maximum of three earned runs. He will soon lose his spot in the rotation to Phil Hughes. But he made some progress yesterday.

"Five innings and 94 pitches is still not good," the Yankees' pitching coach, Ron Guidry, said. "But over all, one of the good things was how he learned a little bit today about how to pitch out of trouble. That's something he hadn't been doing before.

"Usually, he tried to hurry up and throw harder. All he did today was just slow down. You keep telling him, 'You can still throw good pitches over the plate and get guys out.'"

[Yankees manager Joe] Torre said Igawa would get another start, and Igawa said he was not concerned about Hughes, who is recovering from hamstring and ankle injuries and will start for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Monday.

"I just do what I have to do," Igawa said through an interpreter. "Joe is the one that will make the decision when the time comes."
Re: Igawa Surges Forth
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:23 PM | HT Fan ]

Kei Igawa's next start for the New York Yankees is scheduled for Thursday, July 26 at 8:10 p.m. EDT (Friday, July 27 at 9:10 a.m. in Japan). He will face Jorge de la Rosa (7-10, 5.61 ERA) of the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium in K.C.

Currently Igawa is 2-2 with a 6.67 ERA for the Yankees. He has had three no-decisions in his last three starts, though he has kept the Yankees in the game despite a high pitch count.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.