Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bad Loss for Kei Igawa

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Bad Loss for Kei Igawa
Kei Igawa struggled through his start yesterday (July 26) for the New York Yankees against the Royals in Kansas City. He allowed five runs in a 7 - 0 loss, throwing 102 pitches in five innings. He walked two and struck out five. His ERA now stands at 6.79 in 11 starts and one relief appearance.

In the second inning Igawa surrendered RBI triples to both Mark Grudzielanek and Tony Pena Jr., and a two-run double to David deJesus. Eight men came to the plate in the four-run inning.

Igawa's next start is scheduled for Wednesday, August 1 against the Chicago White Sox. But Phil Hughes may be called up from the minors to replace him in the Yankees rotation.

"I haven't been able to make gains, and that's very frustrating," Igawa said. "I have to look at this and move forward." He added that a major part of his struggles has stemmed from not learning hitters quickly enough.

Joe Torre-kantoku commented: "You know he's trying and working hard at it. He's very serious-minded about what he does. He pitches well enough to think it's coming, and something just gets out of hand. That's the tough part... Even though I think he improved -- it's all about command. His stuff is good; he just needs to command it."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.