Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Akira Okamoto

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Akira Okamoto
Don't know if the Akira Okamoto on your site is the same Akira Okamoto that pitches for the Nashua Pride in Nashua NH. He's done a great job in the Can-Am league, the Pride are in the playoffs. You can read about him here [Nashua Pride Site].
Comments
Re: Akira Okamoto
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 8, 2007 11:56 AM | CLM Fan ]

Wow. I had no idea Okamoto was still playing. I don't know why he has no job in NPB now. Looks like nobody wanted him when Rakuten and Orix formed, but he's put up pretty great numbers as both a starter and reliever. Anyone know what's up?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Sep 9, 2007 4:35 AM | SFT Fan ]

I take it that no one wanted to take a chance on him after a lackluster 2003 and 2004. Orix retained him after the merger, but looking at his ni-gun stats [NPB-BIS Official Site - in Japanese] he had a lackluster performance with the Surpass going 0-3 with a 8.33 ERA in 2005. I take he was dropped for a lack of performance.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Sep 10, 2007 5:43 AM | TYS Fan ]

- Wow. I had no idea Okamoto was still playing. I don't know why he has no job in NPB now. Looks like nobody wanted him when Rakuten and Orix formed, but he's put up pretty great numbers as both a starter and reliever. Anyone know what's up?

The BR Bullpen tracks Okamoto's experience here.

After he blew his last chances in NPB and struggled in ni-gun, he went to the Netherlands and led the league in ERA. That drew the interest from the US independent leagues, which are presumably far below NPB in quality (as is the Dutch league obviously).
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Sep 8, 2007 1:05 PM | SFT Fan ]

Yes, it's the same Okamoto. He played with the Kintetsu Buffaloes from 1997 to 2004.
[ Author: Guest: Jim M | Posted: Sep 24, 2007 11:30 AM ]

The Nashua Pride won the Can-AM league championship. Okamoto pitched a playoff game that he won, and then pitched a game in the finals, which he also won. Note the Pride are coached by Butch Hobson, former player and coach of the Boston Red Sox.
[ Author: Guest: Jim | Posted: Sep 24, 2007 11:36 AM ]

Another follow up on Okamoto. The Nashua Pride went into the CAN-AM playoffs, then the league championship which they won. Okamoto pitched a game in each series, winning both games. He finished the regular season fourth in the CAN-AM league, 9-2 with a 2.88 ERA. You can read about him at NashuaPride.com.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.