Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Igawa Pitches in Relief

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Igawa Pitches in Relief
I was surprised to see Kei Igawa show up on this morning's NHK sports news show. It seems he pitched to one Blue Jay batter (giving up a hit) in relief, during a long and sloppy Yankees-Toronto game yesterday (September 22). I didn't even know that the Yankees had called him back up to the majors. Any details of that, please add, readers. Thanks.
Comments
Re: Igawa Pitches in Relief
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 24, 2007 10:22 PM ]

Igawa was called up along with a few other AAA players once their season ended in AAA playoff.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Sep 26, 2007 11:02 PM | HT Fan ]

Kei Igawa was given a rare start last night (his first for the New York Yankees since July 26), replacing the injured Roger Clemens against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He left the game in the fifth inning with a chance for a victory, but the Yankees eventually lost the game 7-6. Igawa's line was: five innings, two hits, no runs, five walks, two strikeouts.

Kei-san claimed he was wild because it had been so long since his previous start, in the Class AAA playoffs. But he was able to get critical outs and earned generally good reviews in the New York sports pages.

"I knew this was my last outing this season, so I definitely had fun," Igawa said through a translator. "But it would have been more fun if the team won."
[ Author: Guest: Rob | Posted: Oct 3, 2007 2:45 AM ]

With the playoffs starting, the Yankees have told Igawa that they have no plans on putting him on the roster or keeping him in reserve in case of an injury and have told him to go home. Hopefully this was simply a difficult transition year and that he will have more success next year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.