Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Lou Merloni AAA Championship MVP

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Lou Merloni AAA Championship MVP
Former Yokohama BayStar player Lou Merloni was named the 2007 Bricktown Showdown Most Valuable Player after leading the Sacramento Rivercats over the Richmond Braves 7-1 for the Triple-AAA Championship.

The Rivercats represented the Pacific Coast League and the Braves the International League in the second annual Bricktown Showdown held in Oklahoma City.

Merloni, who was recently named Sacramento team captain, had two hits including a three run homer in the Bricktown Showdown. Lou had a total of four home runs in 32 playoff at bats.

Winning pitcher, Kazuhito Tadano, struck out four batters and gave up only one run and three hits in 4 1/3 innings of relief in the Championship Game.
Comments
Re: Lou Merloni AAA Championship MVP
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Sep 25, 2007 9:30 AM | TYS Fan ]

In addition to Merloni and Tadano, another name of Japanese interest is that of the Sacramento starting pitcher in the Showdown, Shane Komine [Baseball-Reference], the third Japanese-American in the Major Leagues.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Sep 25, 2007 1:45 PM | HAN Fan ]

Who were the other two Japanese-Americans?

Lenny Sakata, Don Wakamatsu, and Kurt Suzuki come to mind.

Atlee Hammaker and Ron Darling were half Japanese.
[ Author: Guest: Passerby | Posted: Sep 25, 2007 4:33 PM ]

According to Wikipedia, Darling's mother is a Chinese Hawaiian. In addition to Komine and Suzuki, the current Japanese American players are Dave Roberts and Jason Davis. I heard that Brandon League is partly Japanese. Can Anyone confirm this?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 25, 2007 4:37 PM | CLM Fan ]

I'm guessing Kurt Suzuki and Travis Ishikawa.
[ Author: Guest: Mischa | Posted: Sep 26, 2007 2:09 AM ]

I thought Komine was third after Sakata and Ishikawa. I wasn't aware of Wakamatsu. He made the majors before Kurt Suzuki.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 27, 2007 10:26 AM ]

Oh, that last response was coach T. (Providence,1990-93).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.