Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hillman In Negotiations With Royals?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Hillman In Negotiations With Royals?
Outgoing Nippon Ham Fighters manager, Trey Hillman [Japan Baseball Daily - scroll down for Hillman], is in serious negotiations to become the next manager of the Kansas City Royals according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

Hillman has also been mentioned as a sleeper candidate for the Yankees managerial vacancy now with Joe Torre is stepping down today.

Hillman has a 351-324-12 (.520) record in 5 years with the Fighters and led them to the their first Nippon Series win last year, which was their first since 1962 when they were the Toei Flyers. He led the Fighters to the Nippon Series this year, too, where they will face the winner of the CL Climax Series (either the Chunichi Dragons or Yomiuri Giants).

Source: ESPN
Comments
Re: Hillman Named Royals Manager
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 5:06 AM | SFT Fan ]

Well it's official, Hillman is the next Royals manager. He will be introduced at a Monday press conference.

Source: MLB.com
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 7:22 PM ]

I wonder if Hillman and the Royals had an agreement in place back in August. First, Buddy Bell announces his resignation in August, and then the very next month Hillman announces his resignation.

BTW, does anyone know what Hillman's salary with Nippon Ham is? Details weren't announced, but I'm assuming he'll make a million or two with KC.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 11:48 PM ]

Joe Torre's departure and the mention of Hillman on a Yankee short list of candidates was a motivating factor. I see no conspiracy theory here.

As for pay, as a rookie MLB manager in a small market like KC, his pay could be $1M, or even less. What's he making in Japan?

Anyway, I think his hiring is a terrific choice by the Royals.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 3:52 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hillman-kantoku's yearly published salary is available on his profile page. And it's a sure bet that he will have received more than that in bonuses the past couple of years.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 11:47 PM ]

There's no disclosure about his pay in the press here. If he's making a salary of $1M with Nippon Ham, he's probably making the same in Kansas City. His bonuses will have to be made up by endorsements of the local Ford dealer, a radio show, and maybe some local TV commercials for Hardee's.

Kansas City is actually a pretty nice place, and closer to his Texas home than Sapporo.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Oct 25, 2007 9:09 PM | HNHF Fan ]

As a Fighters fan I was kind of hoping the situation would change and he'd stay (not realistic I know). Best of luck to him though!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.