Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Boston Here, Enjoying Matsuzaka

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Boston Here, Enjoying Matsuzaka
Yo.

I live in Boston, and I don't know exactly how popular baseball is in Japan, but over here, the last few days have been crazy, and the World Series will be crazier.

Daisuke Matsuzaka is bona fide Boston hero. Thanks for that guy. Also Okajima.
Comments
Re: Boston Here, Enjoying Matsuzaka
[ Author: Japanese Kid | Posted: Oct 24, 2007 1:36 AM ]

Hey I'm glad you enjoy Both Daisuke and Okajima.

Since I'm Japanese myself, I will say you are very welcome.
[ Author: Guest: Cali Baseball | Posted: Oct 26, 2007 1:58 PM ]

As popular as Daisuke is in Japan, the story has been Okajima in Boston. People are calling him superhuman. 2007 All Star, Player of the Game in Game 2 of the World Series, and 10 innings pitched in the post season without allowing a run, so far!

Daisuke's 15 Wins and 200+ strikeouts is not bad at all for a first year starter. We should expect a better year from Daisuke next year. Hopefully Cy Young caliber.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 27, 2007 4:00 PM | CLM Fan ]

The funny thing about Okajima is that he was a fairly mediocre reliever in Japan until he got traded to Nippon Ham and became the ace lefty reliever for that championship team. My feeling is that he was going through the motions with the Giants and the trade really woke him up.

Trades in Japan are often seen as insults, and the Giants considered Okajima to be an expendable player. I forget who they traded him for. I think for Sanematsu and Furuki, who are both basically farm players who struggled to hit .200. Neither player is really a future prospect at this point.

He's a completely different player now. He used to have control issues and only just added the change up this season. It's amazing considering the fact that if he had a couple more poor seasons, he could've been released.
[ Author: Guest: Cali Baseball | Posted: Oct 27, 2007 10:41 PM ]

There seems to be a trend of reliable, top notch relievers coming from Japan. Okajima may be just another in a longer line to come, already preceded by Sasaki, Ohtsuka, Saitoh, and Hasegawa. We should expect to see more relievers make there way over. Maybe Iwase?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.