Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Indians Sign Kobayashi

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Indians Sign Kobayashi
The Cleveland Indians have signed pitcher Masahide Kobayashi to a two year contract with an option for 2010.

Kobayashi is guaranteed $6 million over the two years, with an team option for 2010 worth $3.25 million.

Kobayashi went 2-7 with 27 SVs and a 3.61 ERA in 49 games with Chiba Lotte last year. He has a career 36-34 record with 227 SVs and a 2.79 ERA in 445 games in a 9 year career.

Source: MLB.com
Comments
Re: Indians Sign Kobayashi
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 11:26 AM | NIP Fan ]

I'm overly amused by the fact that Nate Minchey made the scouting report, for some reason. I guess them being teammates for four years would make him pretty qualified to talk about him, but it's still sort of weird.

As for Masakoba, I think he's a great pitcher but he always seems to have meltdowns whenever I'm paying attention to him. Like the 2005 post-season, and most of the 2007 season. So maybe now that I won't be paying attention to him in America he'll do just fine!
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:02 PM | CLM Fan ]

This is kind of a gamble because Masahide's high velocity shuuto and delivery could cause problems for MLB batters. He could also be washed up, though. He's definitely not a consistent pitcher. It's very hard to predict how NPB players will do in the majors. The only constants seem to be that power numbers drop significantly and quality relievers thrive. I predict he'll do well and eventually become the full-time closer, because Joe Borowski is garbage.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 8:44 PM ]

It's a bit harsh to say Borowski is "garbage," but Cleveland does need an upgrade at closer, given that Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughan has retired. Glad to see the Tribe getting into obtaining NPB talent. Now if only the Orioles would wake up, before the AL East blows by them for good.

I don't think these defections are "bad" for NPB at all. These guys still can play for Japan in WBC tournaments and uphold Japan's well earned reputation in the world-wide big picture of baseball.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.