Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tomori To Rejoin Red Sox As Minor League Coach

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Tomori To Rejoin Red Sox As Minor League Coach
"Denney" Tomori will rejoin the Red Sox as a minor league coach. It is unknown where Tomori will coach. Tomori [Baseball-Reference] played in the Sox's system in 2005, going 2-8 with 1 SV and a 4.05 ERA in 34 games with AA Portland and AAA Pawtucket.

Source: Nikkan Sports
Comments
Re: Tomori To Rejoin Red Sox As Minor League Coach
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 2, 2007 7:39 PM | CLM Fan ]

That's very surprising, considering he only played a year of pretty bad minor league ball. Is Denney's grasp of English good enough for a job like that? I didn't know he was fluent.

You know, him and Takashi Ishii were Matsuzaka's two main mentors at Seibu. I wonder how much of an influence Matsuzaka had on this decision.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 6:54 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Is Denney's grasp of English good enough for a job like that?

According to this thread he was raised in the U.S. by his mother until returning to Japan in his second year of high school. He was born in Urasoe, Okinawa where the U.S. has a Marine Corps base. His father is half French/half Indian, while his mother is from Miyakojima. I haven't heard anything about his father, but I take it he was stationed in the military in Japan.

I would have to think that he has to have a good grasp of the English language from living in the U.S. for such a long time.
[ Author: Guest: Frank's Field of Dreams | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 8:55 AM ]

He's a good friend of Matsuzaka, and by signing him to be a coach in the Minor League system, it might lead to more Japanese high school players signing with the Red Sox in the future.

I remember watching a video of Matsuzaka touring the Green Monster last year after he was signed, when he went inside the green monster, the Red Sox brass that was with him asked him to sign his name on the wall like many players have before, and I remember he pick up his cell phone and called Tomori about being inside the Green Monster at that time.

One thing for sure is that he will not be a coach in AAA, as they announced the coaches at Pawtucket earlier last week.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 12:24 PM | SFT Fan ]

- [...] it might lead to more Japanese high school players signing with the Red Sox in the future.

Yeah, that was my impression of the hiring. Boston is hoping that it will lead to more Japanese players viewing Boston as a destination for them. Also, as mentioned above, he was a tutor to Matsuzaka when he played with the Lions, that also didn't hurt I suppose, since he can further help ease Matsuzaka into MLB.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 10:47 PM ]

Didn't Denney Tomori spend some time playing minor league ball-independent leagues? Early in his career in the U.S.?

Yeah, this seems like a move to have Denney serve as a sort of mentor for future RedSox signings of Japanese HS and University players. Theo Epstein is one smart cookie.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 4, 2007 12:34 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Didn't Denney Tomori spend some time playing minor league ball-independent leagues? Early in his career in the U.S.?

According to the Baseball Cube, he played with Butte Copper Kings in 1988, which was then a Texas Rangers farm team. Many NPB teams in the '80s sent players to play in the American farm system. Koji Akiyama was a good example, playing with the San Jose Bees in 1983.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:08 PM ]

My understanding is that Tomori will be working out of the Red Sox scouting department, mainly as an adviser. I don't recall seeing anything indicating that he would be a coach.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.