Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Astros Sign K. Matsui

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Astros Sign K. Matsui
The Houston Astros signed second baseman Kazuo Matsui [Baseball-Reference] to a 3 year deal worth more than $15 million.

The consensus is that Houston overpaid for Matsui, and there's major question how good Matsui will do away from Coors Field, where Matsui [Baseball-Reference] struggled batting just .249/.303/.333 with 0 HR's and 12 RBI.

Matsui will replace Craig Biggio at second base, Biggio retiring after a 20 year career. He projects as Houston's leadoff hitter.

Source: MLB.com
Comments
Re: Astros Sign K. Matsui
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 2, 2007 7:43 PM | CLM Fan ]

I agree with the people who say he's being overpaid. I don't follow the MLB front office moves as much as I follow NPB, but did Colorado offer to re-sign him? If they did, Kaz really should've shown Colorado some loyalty for believing in him when no other team wanted to touch him with a 10 foot pole. He has enough money at this point.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 6:37 AM | SFT Fan ]

- [...] did Colorado offer to re-sign him? If they did [...]

The Rockies offered him a 2 year deal, worth about $6 million. That was pretty good considering his lackluster numbers on the road. I can't help but think that the Astros made a big mistake with this signing.
[ Author: Guest: kaz fan | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 9:07 AM ]

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Kaz is just going to get better and better. I'm really tired of all the put downs he gets from some baseball fans.

And loyalty BigManZam? Kaz doesn't have to show his loyalty by resigning a contract with the Rockies. He was a free agent and as a free agent he is free to explore what he wants to do. MLB is a business, not a friendship.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 12:21 PM | SFT Fan ]

- You guys don't know what you're talking about. Kaz is just going to get better and better. I'm really tired of all the put downs he gets from some baseball fans.

First off, what makes you such a authority on this subject? I'm intrigued to hear this.

Second, I'm not sure how long you've been around this website, but I'm sure if you take your time to look around these boards, you will find out that I have stood up for Kaz time and time again. So don't try and say that poor Kaz is getting bashed over and over again by me.

Third, did you even view the away splits that I posted above? If you bothered to read them, you would see that Kaz struggled badly away from Coors, at .249/.304/.333 with 0 HR's and 12 RBI. You care to tell me how Kaz will do so well at Minute Maid Park, seeing those numbers?

Also, Kaz obviously saw an increase in production due to the Coors Field effect. Matsui [Baseball-Reference] batted just .246/.304/.344 with 5 HR's and 48 RBI at Shea Stadium, so my concerns on how he will do outside of Coors isn't a stretch. Maybe, kaz fan, can tell me how Kaz will get better and better out of Coors Field based on the 2007 splits and his lackluster numbers at Shea?

Closing out this post, this is a terrible move made by Ed Wade. But hey, Ed Wade made moves like these for 7 years as the Phillies' manager. Houston is going to get ready to have one of the worse 1-2 combination at the top of their order. The Astros look like there trying to become the NL equivalent of my Baltimore Orioles.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 1:18 PM | SFT Fan ]

- But hey, Ed Wade made moves like these for 7 years as the Phillies' manager.

A correction, I didn't mean to say Wade was the manager, he was the Phillies' GM from 1998 to 2005. I wouldn't want Wade anywhere near the field as a manager or coach.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 1:49 PM | CLM Fan ]

First off, this is the only English speaking forum devoted specifically to Japanese baseball. If anyone knows what Kaz is capable of, it's the people on this forum. Direct your frustration somewhere else.

Second, why would he get better and better if he's getting closer to his late 30s? Kaz peaked in his final years as a Seibu Lion, where he had the perfect mix of power and speed in a smaller ballpark. It's obvious that the power isn't there in the majors, so why would his speed keep up as he's getting older?

Third, nobody believed more than me that Kaz would be a decent major leaguer if he got away from Shea Stadium. Go ahead and check the archives.

Lastly, sure, this isn't a friendship. Normally I wouldn't mention anything about loyalty when it comes to free agency, but Kaz is a totally different story. Anyone remember Kaz the spaz? I mean the guy who gave up game deciding errors and wore ugly glasses in an attempt to stop bobbling the ball so much? The guy who Mets fans would boo even if he's a hit away from getting the cycle? The only reason he's not that guy anymore is because Colorado took a chance on him and his salary. Not only that, but the Colorado fans also embraced him. He went to the World Series with this Rockies team and he leaves for the Astros for what? More luxury cars? He's already made millions as a Lion, Met, and with endorsement deals.

This was a move that the spiky red-haired Met would make, not the no nonsense Rockie.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Dec 3, 2007 10:41 PM ]

BigManZam: I like your post other than the reference to Matsui's age. He just turned 32 in October.

A 32 y/o second baseman with chronic back problems and poor offensive numbers basically throughout his time in MLB, except a partial season and a full season of home games at Coors Field, and the Astros somehow think he's worth $15 million over 3 years?

As Jbroks points out, Ed Wade is making the moves in Houston now. I guess his goal is to be the worst GM in MLB since the Pirates' Dave Littlefield was fired.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 4, 2007 2:42 AM | HAN Fan ]

Let's just see what happens. Statistically, BigManZam is probably right. But baseball is a surprising game - anything can happen.

Hope the best for Kaz and the Astros.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 4, 2007 11:04 AM | CLM Fan ]

I know he's still 32, but speed goes away at a really young age in Japan. Look at the drop in steals for Nishioka and Akahoshi. Fukumoto was in a league of his own when it came to maintaining his ability to steal bases.

My point was that Kaz is probably never going to pass 30 stolen bases again, so it's not like he's a top level speedster. Lack of power, declining speed, and a glove that was problematic before 2007 does not equal a 15 million dollar deal.
[ Author: Guest: Crpls | Posted: Dec 5, 2007 2:49 PM ]

To be honest, $15m/3 years in the current market, along with the lackluster USD, isn't all that overpriced.

Jose Guillen, who yes is better than Kaz, just got $36m/3 years.
[ Author: Guest: Crpls | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 2:52 AM ]

Speaking of the Guillen deal: It has apparently raised the price of Fukudome. Although with teams already offering far more than NPB, I'm not sure how much pull he has, unless he's really willing to take less in Japan if his (or his agent's) asking price isn't matched here.

(According to Baseball Prospectus.)
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 5:52 AM | CLM Fan ]

Yeah, but the Royals are insane. I think they're the only ones who don't think they got totally scammed in that deal.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Dec 7, 2007 12:47 PM ]

Speaking of Jose Guillen, he just got suspended for the first 15 days of the 2008 season for violating the league`s substance abuse policy.

I guess Kazuo Matsui will have a chance to earn his $5 million for next year before Guillen ever steps on the field for the Royals.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 8:33 AM | SFT Fan ]

I completely agree with the "Coors Field effect." Matsui did nothing away from the thin air of Coors, but he played like an All-Star in it.

3 yrs/$15 million really isn't all that much in terms of overpaying for somebody, especially when you think about the Red Sox overpaying for JD Drew (5 years, $70 million). Fielding, Matsui only made 4 errors last year in 515 total chances, much better than his previous numbers with the Mets.

Also, look at the hot and cold streaks that he went through last season: March and April he hit .361 in 9 games. May he was limited to 9 games, and batted .216. In 23 games in June he batted .309, the next month .219. August .354, September and October .224. He also batted .267 after the All-Star Break, so expect some kind of slowdown.

Considering the kind of player the Astros expect Matsui to be, I think they overpaid, but if they can get 130 games and a .280 average out of him, they'll be doing pretty good.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 8, 2007 10:42 PM ]

Matsui's home-road reminds me of another former Rockie, Jeff Cirillo (that sound you heard was Mariners fans cringing).

On the other hand, the Astros' park is good to hit in, so we'll see how that pans out. That short porch in left will give him the chance at some cheap homers. I wish him well, but he will essentially be replacing Craig Biggio. Yikes!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.