Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Iguchi Wanted At Third

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Iguchi Wanted At Third
There are reports that Tadahito Iguchi is wanted as a possible third baseman by a few teams, including the Phillies. Iguchi has no interest in playing the position.

Who is doing the scouting for these teams? Iguchi blew out his arm when he was a shortstop. That's why he converted to second. There would be a ton of plays he wouldn't be able to make as a Major League third baseman. Not to mention the teams would be sacrificing a lot of power at the position.
Comments
Re: Iguchi Wanted At Third
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:53 AM | SFT Fan ]

Considering the options Philadelphia had at third base this year (Abraham Nunez and Wes Helms), Iguchi will be an upgrade over both of them and be a cheap option over many of the free agents currently on the market.

The Astros are out of the Iguchi sweepstakes now that fellow countryman, Kaz Matsui, signed a three year deal.

What about Colorado, you ask? They're looking at internal options such as prospect Ian Stewart and on the trade front in Houston infielder Chris Burke who's out of favor now in Houston.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 2:14 PM | SFT Fan ]

Apparently, the Rockies aren't as high on Ian Stewart as it's been rumored. Colorado is contemplating a two year offer for Iguchi.

The article, however, says that the Rockies are happy with their in-house options (Ian Stewart, Jayson Nix, Jeff Baker), and that they don't want block the path of the youngsters.

Source: MLB.com
[ Author: Guest: Crpls | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:55 AM ]

He played third a bit when Utley came back.

Reports in the last few days have said Iguchi is willing to play third for the Phillies, since apparently no one has come after him for a starting job at second base.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:30 AM | SFT Fan ]

Another update to the Iguchi situation. The Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Orioles have been in contact with Iguchi's agent to gauge interest in Iguchi in case of a Brian Roberts trade. Iguchi's agent said that if Roberts were traded (the current rumor mill has the Orioles and Cubs talking about Roberts, after the Cubs missed out on Kaz Matsui), the Orioles would be in the top three teams Iguchi would be willing to sign with. The other teams include the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers. The Phillies are also in the mix, but under the current rules, Iguchi wouldn't be eligible to play until May 15th, unless MLB would grant a special waiver for him to play.

As an Oriole fan, I really hope that it doesn't come to trading Roberts. Replacing a name player such as Roberts would be impossible for Iguchi to accomplish. Though this is unlikely to happen right now, as Brian Roberts is a favorite of Orioles' owner Peter Angelos who nixed a trade last year involving Roberts that would have sent him to Atlanta. Without a trade of Roberts, the Orioles' interest in Iguchi would be non-existent - unless Iguchi is willing to slide over to third base, as the Orioles could also trade current third baseman, Melvin Mora, to the Phillies.

Right now the Padres make the most sense, as they need a cheap stopgap option to hold the seat warm for top prospect Matt Antonelli. The Dodgers make no sense at all since it makes no sense for the Dodgers to stall prospect Tony Abreu anymore. Philly is highly unlikely at the moment in my opinion, because Iguchi wouldn't be eligible to play until May 15th.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:41 AM | SFT Fan ]

Another update to the Iguchi situation has the Brewers interested in him at third base. If he were to sign with Brewers, current third baseman Ryan Braun would shift to left field.

Iguchi would definetly be an upgrade over Ryan Braun, who had a .895 fielding percentage. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is quoting Iguchi's agent, Rocky Hall, who says he expects the Brewers to get back to him by the end of the week with a two year offer.
[ Author: Guest: iguchi fan | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 2:15 PM ]

- Replacing a name player such as Roberts would be impossible for Iguchi to accomplish

And how do you know this? It's not like Roberts is the best second baseman in the Majors. I also think Iguchi is a better player than Roberts, defensively and offensively.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 8:05 PM | SFT Fan ]

- I also think Iguchi is a better player than Roberts, defensively and offensively.

I mean I like Iguchi and all, but respectfully, I have to ask in what alternate reality would anyone say that Iguchi is better than Roberts at offense? Because you would be hard pressed to find many people who agree with you.

Not of offend anyone, but sometimes I think people just randomly post without any idea of what there saying. Anyway onto the comparisons of Roberts and Iguchi.

Roberts:
2005 - .314/.387/.515, 18 HR's, 73 RBI, 139 OPS+, 67 BB/83 K
2006 - .286/.347/.410, 10 HR's, 55 RBI, 96 OPS+, 55 BB/66 K
2007 - .290/.377/.432, 12 HR's, 57 RBI, 112 OPS+

Iguchi:
2005 - .278/.342/.438, 15 HR's, 71 RBI, 104 OPS+,
2006 - .281/.352/.422, 18 HR's, 67 RBI, 97 OPS+
2007 - .267/.347/.400, 9 HR's, 43 RBI, 92 OPS+

Finally, to your claim on how would I know this? Well the consensus throughout MLB is that Roberts is one of top second baseman in all of baseball. It isn't just my opinion. I guess all the stat experts all of sudden have no clue what they're talking about and that they're wrong, too?
[ Author: Guest: iguchi fan | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:51 PM ]

Jbroks86, the split stats of Iguchi and Roberts are near identical, so by your statement earlier saying Iguchi would have an impossible task to replace Roberts, it is very wrong and is something you should rethink.

Yes their stats are very identical, but if I were to make a team and I needed to pick a second baseman, I would choose Iguchi with no hesitation. His defense and some of his heroic offense he has displayed over the past 3 seasons is needed on every team.

I also believe the only reason why most people will choose Roberts over Iguchi is by popularity, since Roberts is more well known to the public.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 7, 2007 3:37 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Yes their stats are very identical, but if I were to make a team and I needed to pick a second baseman, I would choose Iguchi with no hesitation. His defense and some of his heroic offense he has displayed over the past 3 seasons is needed on every team.

Except for 2006, they're nowhere near identical. As for your heroic offense and defense, if that were the truth then MLB teams should have 9 David Eckstein's on every team.

This is my last post on this subject, as I'm not going to sit here and take this any further off topic with this.

- I also believe the only reason why most people will choose Roberts over Iguchi is by popularity, since Roberts is more well known to the public.

Yeah, the old popularity card. Yes, Roberts might be more popular than Iguchi, but answer the question as to why all of sudden all the statistical experts so wrong? I guess I should have taken Iguchi in fantasy baseball the last 3 years? Thank goodness I didn't listen to your scouting report.

Also, by what I meant by impossible task, is that Orioles fans wouldn't embrace Iguchi like they have Roberts. Does this mean that they wouldn't like him? No, but he will never be able to fit into the shoes of Roberts in the eyes of the Baltimore faithful, unless Roberts does something real bad to lose the faith Orioles fans have in him.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:39 PM ]

Is Atkins changing positions for Colorado? Maybe to the outfield? I'm surprised I didn't see his name on the list of third basemen.

On Roberts, with the Mitchell investigation appearing to about to come to a head, aren't the interested teams afraid of just how heavily that shoe might drop on Roberts head? I would stay away from him for that reason alone.
[ Author: Guest: tim mcleod | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:51 PM ]

I believe that Atkins is locked into third base for now. The heir apparent, Ian Stewart, could probably use another year at AAA, and currently the Rockies have Helton at first base and their current outfield consists of Holliday, Tavares, and Hawpe. Atkins did play some at first last year, but unless a trade opens up a slot he's looking at third base heading into 2008.
[ Author: Guest: Crpls | Posted: Dec 7, 2007 3:58 AM ]

- I guess all the stat experts all of sudden have no clue what they're talking about and that they're wrong, too?

I won't argue that he's popular and considered very good throughout MLB. But I'm not sure where you're getting that "stat experts" are as high on him.

Most agree that he's an average to above average player whose reputation still relies heavily on his (anomalous so far) 2005 season.

(I agree that he's better than Iguchi, but it's not nearly significant enough to claim Iguchi couldn't adequately replace him - not that it matters, honestly. The Orioles are terrible.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.