Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kei Igawa to pitch for Yankees again

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kei Igawa to pitch for Yankees again
Here's the text of an article appearing in this morning's (May 5, 2008) New York Post, by sports writer George A. King, entitled "Oh, Kei: Igawa to Start Against Tigers":
Since the New York Yankees don't have another option, get ready to see Kei Igawa Kei Igawa in Detroit.

With Ian Kennedy being sent to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre yesterday, the Yankees need a starter Friday or Saturday against the Tigers. Whatever game Darrell Rasner doesn't work will go to Igawa, the $46 million disaster.

"He is the leading candidate," [manager] Joe Girardi said before the lefty went seven innings, allowed five hits, four earned runs, walked four and fanned eight against Durham yesterday. He is 3-3 with a 3.68 ERA for SWB.

"That's the way we are leaning right now," said GM Brian Cashman, who is willing to look for an answer inside the organization first.

With Andy Pettitte starting tomorrow night against the Indians, Chien-Ming Wang Wednesday and Mike Mussina Thursday, the Yankees decided Rasner will work Friday or Saturday in Detroit.

According to Cashman, Rasner and Igawa were SWB's two best starters. Igawa went 2-3 with a 6.25 ERA in 14 games (12 starts) last year for the Yankees and never coming close to proving he can be counted on consistently or was worth the investment.
Comments
Re: Kei Igawa to pitch for Yankees again
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 7, 2008 9:10 PM | HT Fan ]

And indeed, former Hanshin ace Kei Igawa is now slated to pitch on Friday, May 9, against Kenny Rogers and the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park, according to the New York Times and the New York Yankees website.

Igawa is 3-3 and 3.86 for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA) Yankees.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 10, 2008 12:39 PM | HT Fan ]

And the news this evening from Detroit was not good for Igawa-san. His pitches were a bit high throughout his three-plus innings of work, as the Tigers beat the Yankees 6-5 at Comerica Park. Igawa was not helped by the poor fielding of third-baseman Wilson Betemit (in my humble opinion), replacing an injured Alex Rodriguez who has much better range.

Regardless, Igawa recorded just two swinging strikes among his 64 pitches, and did not show the command he needs to remain in the New York starting rotation. Zannen desu ne.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: May 14, 2008 4:23 PM ]

We all know the Yankees signed Igawa as a knee-jerk reaction to the fact the Red Sox got Dice-K. At this point he may need to get a fresh start with another organization, the same way Kaz Matsui got a re-birth when he left the Mets for Colorado. New York's a tough place to play once the media are on you like pit bulls.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 17, 2008 11:44 PM | HT Fan ]

I have to agree, puddin. I happened to be in New York at the time Igawa pitched last week, and it was pretty upsetting to see from all the tabloids, and hear on the radio, just how much the Yankee fans dislike Igawa. Once that happens in New York, it's darn near impossible to regain their respect. And in fairness to those fans, Kei-san looked very lackluster on the mound -- not at all the same pitcher I saw in Japan.

I hope Igawa re-finds his form in New York, or anywhere he feels comfortable and can pitch his best.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.