Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kei Igawa returns to the minors

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kei Igawa returns to the minors
Kei Igawa's poor outing for the New York Yankees last week earned him a quick return ticket to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA) where he has pitched well. Here are the highlights of the story as posted on the Yankees official website (www.yankees.mlb.com):
ST. PETERSBURG -- The Yankees recalled right-hander Ian Kennedy from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to make Thursday's start against the Rays at Tropicana Field, optioning left-hander Kei Igawa to Triple-A.

The 28-year-old Igawa started on Friday [May 9] at Detroit, his first start of the season in the Majors, and was rapped for six earned runs in three-plus innings.

When the Yankees were rained out on Sunday, they took advantage of the opportunity to shuffle their rotation, moving Igawa to the bullpen for three games. He did not appear in the Yankees' series at Tampa Bay.

"I am disappointed that I was not able to produce the results that I wanted, as well as what was expected out of the team," Igawa said in a statement. "Moving forward, I will continue to work hard to be able to contribute to the team in the future."

Igawa is 2-4 with a 6.75 ERA in 15 big league games (13 starts), allowing 87 hits and 53 earned runs in 70 2/3 innings.

"We still picture him as a starter," Girardi said. "We don't want him to pitch every once in a while. We need him to pitch and continue to improve."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.