Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Valentine: Seattle Mariners

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Valentine: Seattle Mariners
Jon Heyman pleads the case for Booby Valentine to return as a Major League manager, particularly the Seattle Mariners in a SI.com article entitled "Where's the love for Valentine?."
Comments
Re: Valentine: Seattle Mariners
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 20, 2008 4:09 PM | SFT Fan ]

Hooray, it's not even half way through the season and I have to read another one of these Bobby Valentine to MLB managing articles. Sigh, here we go again with another ill-informed article.
It's a travesty that Valentine doesn't have a managing job here.
One of things I always love from all of these countless Valentine to MLB rumors or speculations or what ever Bobby Valentine articles is how all of the American press think that Valentine really wants to manage in the majors. Also, many of these articles seem to think that money is the only equation in the situation and can't seem to accept that Valentine really does love managing in Japan.
The Mariners would be a perfect fit for Valentine. They have Japanese ownership, two Japanese stars in outfielder Ichiro Suzuki and catcher Kenji Johjima and a recent history of underachievement.
First off, the heads at Nintendo in Japan really don't have an impact in the day to day affairs of the team after Hiroshi Yamaguchi sold his stock. Day to day affairs are more or less run by Howard Lincoln and company.

Second, Japanese ownership really doesn't gurantee that Valentine would be the right fit for the Mariners.

Third, and most importanly, hiring Valentine alone would not make the Mariners' brass make better decisions. If Lincoln and company continue with the lackluster moves they've made for years, it won't matter if Casey Stengel manages them, they will still be a laughing stock, and Valentine would be out as quick as they hired him.

I'm not really convinced that Valentine wants to go through all of that despite what some people suggest time in and time again, year after year on this site.
However, friends of Valentine insist he loves Seattle and would be intrigued by that job.
So after Valentine tells him that's he has a managerial job and that Seattle already has a manager, Heyman is not convinced and goes and gets someone to tell him what he wants to hear, which contradicts what Valentine has said - that he has no interest in a MLB job.
[ Author: Guest: J in LA | Posted: May 21, 2008 1:55 PM ]

Perhaps Valentine is smart enough not to want to return to a country in economic and political decline. They'd have to offer him a lot more since the dollar keeps dropping against the yen. What can the US offer him besides $$$, sagging economy, and threat of nuclear attack?
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 22, 2008 4:12 PM | HT Fan ]

I'd volunteer here also, it seems particularly bad timing for an ill-informed article of this nature during the same week that ESPN is showing a rather colorful feature film in the USA about Valentine's 2007 campaign with the Marines ("The Zen of Bobby V") which clearly shows what a delightful and intriguing life he is having in Japan. As they say in Riverdale, Tokyo (and everywhere else), oy vey.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jun 2, 2008 12:05 AM ]

I suggest then that you leave the miserable place you describe and go root for Bobby and his last place Lotte team.

Bobby is mostly forgotten in the US and really, no one except a few sportswriters berift of a new story idea gives this matter much thought.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jun 2, 2008 12:08 PM ]

I would also expand on Sara B's comment that he is having a great experieince in Japan. Why should he consider leaving? It isn't Purgatory, so writers shouldn't expect Bobby to jump at an MLB opportunity. He will never match what he has in Japan in the US. He is a baseball god in Japan. In MLB, a losing record will have him tending his bar in Stamford. I do wonder, however, how much patience management will have with him with the Marines in the cellar.

On another topic (since I can't add one), a sad report that Jeremi Gonzales, a former NPB pitcher, passed away after being struck by lightning. Bless his soul.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: May 23, 2008 10:50 PM ]

Jbroks86: This is an excellent post. Great work!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 24, 2008 9:35 AM ]

Jbroks86 hits it on the head.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 2, 2008 1:28 PM | HAN Fan ]

Great contributions from everyone.

My response to "guest J in LA" - let's try to keep politics out of this post - this is about baseball.

I was born in Japan but grew up in the USA and I love them both - you can find positives and negatives in all nations.

This past week we took my uncle and aunt from Japan to Tacoma Rainier and Seattle Mariner games and they loved it!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.