Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kaz enjoys Mets' visit

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kaz enjoys Mets' visit
Well, Kaz Matsui is batting .284 and just contributed nicely to Houston's sweep of the Mets. I still have not forgotten how abusive the Mets fans were to him. Last winter, on a Mets' fan site, some moron posted that the Mets should not sign Fukudome because he's Japanese! Whatever happened to evaluating players on their individual merits?
Comments
Re: Kaz enjoys Mets' visit
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 4, 2008 1:59 PM ]

As a Mets fan I am glad to see Kazuo having a nice season. I think fans' negative reaction (mind you, you're generalizing) was due to them being sold a bill of goods by our GM at the time (Steve Phillips?) that just didn't show up. We were told how great his bat was and about his cabinet full of Gold Gloves, and during his tenure he basically didn't come close those expectations.

Unfortunately the fans can't boo the GM, so they take it out on the player. Unfair.

FYI, anyone who judges a player solely on nationality, race, etc. is just an idiot.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 4, 2008 2:19 PM ]

Kaz's home runs against the Mets were huge home runs though. He hit them Adam Dunn style.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 4, 2008 2:49 PM ]

Surely you're joking? His first HR bounced off the top of the wall and over.

(Let us end this conversation, since Westbay-san's site is not really the place for this conversation).
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 5, 2008 12:15 PM ]

Joking? Why would I joke? Kaz's two homers were huge. And no, his first home run was over the second wall, the bullpen. That is considered a big homer.
[ Author: Guest: J in LA | Posted: Aug 5, 2008 2:51 PM ]

Yes, the announcers on the Houston broadcast did mention that Kaz's homers were no cheap homers.

If you can hit one out of a Major League park off of Major League pitching, then you can discredit Kaz Matsui, otherwise, ....
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Aug 6, 2008 4:26 AM ]

The main pet peeve I wanted to bring out was the anti-Japanese feelings I've encountered from many Mets fans, either in reading websites or in conversation (with people who are college educated and otherwise professional, even). There actually are Mets fans who think that since Kaz "could not handle New York" then Fukudome could not have handled NY either - that's just plain idiotic. The Mets fans who actually respect Japanese baseball are a very enlightened few.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.