Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro to Cooperstown?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ichiro to Cooperstown?
Ichiro may soon have the numbers (if he does not already have them) to get elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Is it time for voters to start considering the combination of NPB and MLB achievements for The Hall? Also, how about considering World Baseball Classic accomplishments in the future? This may apply to Dice K and Fukudome in the future, if they go on to notable MLB careers. Perhaps a good standard would be to consider guys who closely approximate or even exceed their Japanese averages in the MLB.
Comments
Re: Ichiro to Cooperstown?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 9, 2008 6:09 PM ]

Well, one time achievements are just that, in my opinion. The HOF is all about endurance and consistency. Nomo's no-hitter in Coors is one of the most notable no-hitters in the history of the game, but he probably will not be inducted. Ichiro's NPB numbers will be a moot point as soon as his service time in MLB surpasses 10 years. So is it time? Maybe when Matsuzaka retires. But that won't be soon.

Speaking of MLB, Rich "Goose" Gossage was in the US media a lot in the past few weeks. I don't think anyone asked him about his NPB days. It would have been hilarious if the Japanese media had gone to Cooperstown and interviewed him.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Aug 10, 2008 2:14 AM | SFT Fan ]

Ichiro does have a case, though. He did break George Sissler's record for hits in a season. If you make the case for consistency, Ichiro has been as consistent as any player in MLB since he came over from Orix.

Here are the stats that back it up: a career .331 hitter (including this season, which is incomplete), at least 206 hits every season since 2001, 307 career steals, and he's won a Gold Glove every year since he came into the league, 2001 American League MVP, 2001 AL Rookie of the Year (although many, including Westbay-san, debate that).
[ Author: DaClyde1 | Posted: Aug 11, 2008 10:57 AM | OBs Fan ]

I agree, Ichiro is a lock once he gets his 10 years. No matter what he does after that (or even in that 10th year, so long as he completes it) will make any difference. At that point, there won't be any valid arguments for not electing him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.