Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Would Bobby Leave?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Would Bobby Leave?
I know there were earlier rumblings about Bobby perhaps being asked to resign from Lotte, and now this has surfaced [ESPN.com].

Now that the Marines have missed the Climax Series, what is the mood of management currently? I know we have several people here that follow the Marines closely. Thanks.
Comments
Re: Would Bobby Leave?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 4, 2008 9:20 AM | YBS Fan ]

After the Marines' final game last night (October 3) at Chiba Marine Stadium, Bobby came out to the field and gave a 10 minute speech from the pitcher's mound. In the speech he said that there had been a number of rumors floating around the press about him leaving. He wanted to tell the 23,475 fans "from [his] own mouth" that the team is his like his own family, he loves the Marines and the fans, and that he wants to continue wearing a Marine uniform for many years to come.

The Marines finished in 4th place, a heart breaking 0.5 games behind Nippon Ham. (The curse of the thrown glove.) Let's get 'em next year, Bobby!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2008 10:47 AM ]

Thank you for your prompt reply, Westbay-san. While I was out, it appears the Mets are going to stay with their current manager (Jerry Manuel).

I suppose that news doesn't completely close the door for a return to MLB, but as I tell people in the U.S., Bobby is happy, well-paid, loved by the fans, and any new deal would have to knock his socks off financially.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Oct 15, 2008 2:21 PM | HAN Fan ]

Seems like Bobby is not just thinking about managing, but wants to leave a lasting mark on baseball in Japan, Asia, and globally. One post highlights his visit to the Marines' sister KBO team, the Lotte Giants. Bobby was instrumental in getting Jerry Royster as manager of the Giants.

He sees the potential for Japan and Korea to become a competitive alternative and challenger on the world baseball scene.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.