Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Petagine to Sign with Boston

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Petagine to Sign with Boston
Petagine is to sign with Boston. Or so USA Today's Rod Beaton is reporting. [Link]

Interesting that he's mentioned as a "Left Fielder."
Comments
Re: Petagine to Sign with Boston
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 2:34 PM | YBS Fan ]

That is interesting, considering he was considered to be such a liability in the outfield in 2003 when he tried to convert, returning full time to first base in 2004.
[ Author: Guest: jwt340 | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 8:15 PM ]

What is Petagine's contract status? Is he a true FA, or would he have to be posted? Rod Beaton in USA Today said :
"Look for Boston to sign Japanese superstar Roberto Petagine. He'll be a left-handed bat in left field and and come off the bench as an ideal successor to the departed Doug Mienkiewicz."
Backup first baseman/DH seems morer likely rather than outfield, but the Sox put Millar out there from time to time, and he isn't going to win any gold gloves either.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 11:56 PM ]

- What is Petagine's contract status? Is he a true FA, or would he have to be posted?

Petagine is a free agent, who is free to sign with any team, either MLB or NPB.

- Backup first baseman/DH seems morer likely rather than outfield

Petagine, if he were to make the roster, would back up Millar, and DH some. Petagine might see some time in right field.
[ Author: Guest: jballfan | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 2:36 AM ]

Ouch. Apparently the contract is a one year contract for $750,000. Does anybody know whether Petagine was just tired of Japanese baseball? Because even with the "decline" that he had last year, Petagine would still be easily worth 3-oku a year here in Japan. Did he get any serious offers? Or did no team even give him what Boston is giving him?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 10:05 AM ]

Petagine signed a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 11:11 AM ]

I know this was covered in some other thread, but I can't find it now. The bottom line seems to be that there were no offers in Japan because everyone is afraid that if they give gaijin a big salary cut, the guy will be a malcontent. There's a history of that approach in Japan, and it was applied to Petagine. Even the new blood in the game followed that reasoning. Petagine is worth more, but that's the way it goes - and Boston stands to benefit.

Jim Albright
[ Author: daigo51 | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 12:16 PM | CD Fan ]

- Or did no team even give him what Boston is giving him?

I was wondering the same thing. Last I read of him (if I remember this correctly) is that he was upset that Yomiuri was only offering him 3-oku yen. That is less than half what he was making (he was making 7-oku, right?) But to take 90% [actually 57%] pay cut? This does not make sense. Wasn't Rakuten interested in him?

So I think either:
  • Theo Epstein promised a bench spot, so he kicked the good money offer, or
  • No team in Japan offered more than 7000-man.

Anyway, I am pretty excited about this siging as a RedSox fan. I think he is a good addition.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 5:17 PM | HAN Fan ]

I heard that he (or his wife) was annoyed the Yomiuri management significantly. Another factor was his very high salary - his rival for first base, Kiyohara, proved willing to take a pay cut.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 9, 2005 11:11 PM | HT Fan ]

Just to clarify, was Petagine (or his wife) annoyed with Yomiuri, or was it the reverse?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 8:15 AM | HAN Fan ]

Sorry - my mistake. I heard it was Petagine (or his wife) who annoyed the Yomiuri management.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 7:21 PM ]

I'd read that Yomiuri offered 3 million yen to stay, but that Petagine turned it down. Which makes sense in that you don't take a 50% pay cut when you just hit .289 with 29 HRs while made to platoon with an inferior player.

My guess is that none of the big money teams (Fukuoka, Chunichi, Hanshin) had a spot for him, and he figured he was still good enough to play in the show. Also, I'm guessing that a lot of teams were wary of his wife, who openly criticized Giants' management.
[ Author: daigo51 | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 4:22 AM | CD Fan ]

- But to take 90% [actually 57%] pay cut? This does not make sense.

Clarify: What I ment was that it doesn't make sense for Peta to take 7-oku to $750,000 paycut, (roughly 90% cut) unless he knows something that we don't (such as RedSox backup at first base, Kevin Youlkis, is going to get traded or something like that - just an example).

Jim Albright san, I am looking forward to read your take on Petagine when it goes up.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 11:52 AM | HAN Fan ]

Maybe he had no choice. He rejected the Giants' offer and no other Japanese team was going to pay him 720 million yen, so it is possible he priced himself out of the market. According to Japan Baseball Daily, he is also considered a little strange (very religious) which may have had a bearing on the reluctance of other Japanese managent to hire him, and of course, there is his wife.

The Red Sox were probably able to pick him up cheaply because his options were limited.
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 12, 2005 3:20 PM ]

- such as RedSox backup at first base, Kevin Youlkis, is going to get traded

Well, Youkilis is primarily a third baseman, and seeing how Mueller just had a knee operation that would take 5 weeks to fully recover, he's going to be seeing a lot of time there.

Doug Mientkieuikdhjdgh is gone, so there's actually a good chance that Petagine makes the opening day roster as the backup first baseman.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 13, 2005 4:03 AM ]

Well, here it is: [Link - Baseball Guru].

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 3:11 PM ]

A provision in Petagine's contract said if he isn't with the Red Sox's major league team, he can enact a clause which will let him ask for his release and look to sign a contract with a team in Japan. [Full Story - Boston.com]

As of Friday, June 30th, Petagine wasn't called up or purchased by the Red Sox. Petagine is batting .335 with 12 HR and 36 RBI with AAA Pawtucket. [Minor League Stats] [Boston Team Roster]
[ Author: alappin | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 5:43 AM | SL Fan ]

It's safe to say that Petagine deserves a call-up. Kevin Millar and John Olerud have both been disappointing at first base this year, and it's not like the Sox have much to lose by giving Petagine a shot at being the backup 1B.

Although I bet the media wouldn't take it well.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 7:23 AM ]

> It's safe to say that Petagine deserves a call-up.
> Kevin Millar and John Olerud have both been
> disappointing at first base this year, and it's not
> like the Sox have much to lose by giving Petagine a
> shot at being the backup 1B.
>
> Although I bet the media wouldn't take it well.

I would keep one of the two, I would lean more towards Millar, even though I like Olerud more. I agree, the media would probably jump all over Theo, but I'm interested to see what Petagine could contribute to Boston, he's already proved again and again he can hit AAA pitching.

Petagine could give the Red Sox a power-hitting bat on the bench that could play at first base and in the outfield.

Though, it looks like Theo will keep the team the same as he doesn't seem to want to mess w/the team chemistry.
[ Author: alappin | Posted: Jul 27, 2005 3:15 AM | SL Fan ]

The ever-spinning rumor mill has the Sox trading Bill Mueller and Kevin Millar to the Twins for JC Romero and Joe Mays. This would free up 1B for Petagine for sure. So maybe he will get a shot before September after all.
Petagine Promoted
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 4, 2005 6:55 PM ]

Petagine looks like he got his opportunity, Olerud got placed on the DL. He was re-called from AAA Pawtucket by the Red Sox yesterday (August 3rd). [Full Story - MLB.com] [Red Sox Transactions]
Re: Petagine Promoted
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 11:20 AM | SL Fan ]

Good on Petagine for sticking with it even though he wasn't dealt a favourable hand. Best of luck to Peta!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.